Author Topic: Jaguar Land Rover Australia Statement with regard to reproduction items  (Read 41751 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
In the last 2 years there has been a significant interest in the Land Rover 110 Perentie vehicles as the AFM auctions have kicked off, and from that is naturally an influx of new people to REMLR as well as an increased demand for all manner of parts relating to these vehicles from Canopies down to label stickers. Late yesterday the REMLR committee received a statement from Jaguar Land Rover with relation to the reproduction of items. The statement is included below in it's entirety as the Committee decided that it was in the interest of all enthusiasts to understand the committee's position on this.

Jaguar Land Rover Australia Statement
It has come to the attention of Jaguar Land Rover Australia that there has been some discussion on REMLR forums about the reproduction of Australian Army Land Rover components by parties not licensed, authorised or otherwise associated with Jaguar Land Rover Australia.

However Jaguar Land Rover Australia is still supporting the Australian Army Land Rover Fleet of Vehicles and will continue to do so for several years yet. Jaguar Land Rover Australia is still sourcing and re-sourcing components both globally and locally in support of this fleet on an "as needs" basis.

Jaguar Land Rover Australia franchised outlets have access to all components in stock. If an item is not on the shelf, it may be simply out of stock and therefore subject to Back Order. Alternatively the component may require sourcing. In either case there may be minimum order quantity requirements on Jaguar Land Rover Australia, which may be passed on to consumers in the case of unique items. Jaguar Land Rover Australia and its franchised outlets are happy to speak to members of the passionate and dedicated Land Rover enthusiast community to come to a solution with respect to their Australian Army Land Rover component needs.

It is also important to note that the intellectual property rights in these components, other than proprietary items, is owned by Jaguar Land Rover UK. These intellectual property rights may include patent rights, trade marks and design rights.

Additionally, the representation and sale of copied components as "original" or "genuine" will constitute misleading or deceptive conduct and a false representation.  Such conduct will be in breach of various provisions of the Australian Consumer Law.

Jaguar Land Rover Australia reserves its right to take legal action to protect its rights in respect of these components.

JRA is certainly not trying to make out life difficult, and in fact provide information to enthusiasts where they can. However most of the fleet is still in service and under contract, and it is understandable that they want to protect their intellectual property.

REMLR Committee Position and Response
The REMLR Committee supports the Right of Land Rover to protect it's Intellectual Property, however the Committee and the REMLR community on the whole certainly do not want to be the subject of legal action.  As such REMLR Inc will not allow facilitation of, nor support, any activity on the REMLR Websites and Forums that will breech any laws in relation to these matters. 

We understand that we can not control such things outside of REMLR, but discussion on such matters whether it be the sale of these items or production of them etc will not be allowed on these forums and will summarily be deleted by the administrators.

I will leave this thread open for discussion of this matter, but if there are any problems, aggression or poor behavior, I will simply remove the posts and leave this first message.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
Re: Jaguar Land Rover Australia Statement with regard to reproduction items
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »
Fair enough and I support the committee's position.

I thought the comment by JLR that they continue to support the army land rover fleet and "will continue to do so for several years yet" was particularly interesting. So auctions are far from over...

Howard
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 369
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »
Fair comment and understandable.
Howard, I found some meanings interesting as well.
Kind Regards, Barefoot Dave.
Reunited with my old mate, RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
D2 TD5 Auto
Gone:'91 RFSV, '88 Truck Carryall 48 358. Both cared for by REMLR members.

Offline aussiegregmac

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 97
  • REMLR No: 384
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
Totally support the purpose of both Statements.  Not something that hasn't been mentioned a few times over the last two years.
Greg Mac.
1942 C15 Blitz RadioVan 42-CMP "The PieVan"
1960 Series2 FFW 111-515  "The Woodcutter"
1991 Perentie RFSV 51-699  "Berzerker"
1996 Perentie INF 6x6 202-189 "The Walrus"

Offline Aussie Jeepster

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 91
  • REMLR No: 012
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »
If, as Land Rover say, the parts are still available, then I agree entirely with what they say.
It only becomes an issue if the parts are discontinued, but on the the basis of what they are saying with ongoing support, I guess it's not going to be an issue for some time.
No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295
SOLD Engineers Trailer - no id
SOLD RAAF 231194 Perentie 110 GS - SIR ANGUS

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »
As with all genuine parts you have to pay for the quality and fit.  So it is probably not helpful to compare some brands of generic Land Rover parts made by some Brit companies to the genuine parts supplied through the LRA spare parts chain.

Other parts like components for the Isri seats are still available from the Land Rover parts chain but not from Isri themselves, even though Isri still supply LRA.

I too support REMLR committee decision in this matter.
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
I wholly agree with Land Rover, I said that a few weeks ago when we had the thread on people wanting to copy decals.  And people copying Locker keys as clearly advertised on eBay.

I 100% support the Committee on this.

1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images © 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
As with all genuine parts you have to pay for the quality and fit.  So it is probably not helpful to compare some brands of generic Land Rover parts made by some Brit companies to the genuine parts supplied through the LRA spare parts chain.

Typical is the 3rd party Zenith carbie kit I bought a couple of days back for my S2A. The gaskets had been cut completely wrong and there was no way they would fit: the main jet thread was wrong, too...

Howard
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »
Jaguar Land Rover Australia Statement
Jaguar Land Rover Australia franchised outlets have access to all components in stock. If an item is not on the shelf, it may be simply out of stock and therefore subject to Back Order.

Jaguar Land Rover Australia and its franchised outlets are happy to speak to members of the passionate and dedicated Land Rover enthusiast community to come to a solution with respect to their Australian Army Land Rover component needs.
This is a lovely sentiment, but I wonder if it has been passed on to the "Franchised Outlets"?

On no less than five (5!) separate occaisions I have made parts inquiries to two separate Land Rover Dealerships regarding parts for my 6x6. On each attempt, when I am asked to provide a VIN or model, they FLATLY refuse to assist saying that they cannot supply parts for the Military vehicles, despite a VIN not being required to ID the part as I am requesting a specific part and provide the LR part number. At no time was I told that the part is out of stock or required to sourced in as I never even get the chance to quote the part number. I am shut out as soon as I reveal it is for a Perentie.

My parts purchasing has by necessity been through aftermarket or second hand, or "favours". A few items I simply have not been able to obtain.

But it's nice to know they are happy to talk to us, hey?  :D

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »
May be print out the LR letter and take a copy to the dealers you speak too :)
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 06:22:51 AM »
A good point by 303gunner. Sentiments are great, but unless they are backed by their actions wrt to supply (at a reasonable price) then the supply of non-genuine/licensed parts & reproductions will continue.... and probably grow.

Where there is a demand.....

Pete
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 07:57:04 AM »
It would be very Interesting to see how many people on here do or are willing to pay Genuine Land Rover prices.  You only have to look a on-line sales and see the huge gap between Genuine and Aftermarket.

Purchasing non Genuine licenced parts is fine, even the likes of Britpart/Allmakes/bearmach supply both there own manufactured parts and Genuine Land Rover Parts.

We are very lucky that the likes of Robco can now sell to the public, as Land Rover sell and have stock of the canvas, at ++++++ the price, would you support Land Rover and purchase a canvas for $£1200 more?

As for dealers not wanting to get Involved with army Land rovers, I can see that its a pain in the back side for them, and its at their descretion to sell the parts or not, the perentie is out of production just like the Series 3, same same they would struggle to get parts for one of those. 

On the flip side of this once the Perentie leaves service for good, it would be nice for Land Rover to offer what spares they have left at lower prices, even if thats to trade who can bulk buy and pass on the discounts.  Something to look into for the future.

1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images © 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline circlework

• THANKS 24
  • REMLR No: 400
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »
*snip* ...even if thats to trade who can bulk buy and pass on the discounts... *snip*

There's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.    :-X
Cheers,  Daryl.

49-181 'the SlugBox' Perentie Survey Hardtop.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »
This is a lovely sentiment, but I wonder if it has been passed on to the "Franchised Outlets"?

On no less than five (5!) separate occaisions I have made parts inquiries to two separate Land Rover Dealerships regarding parts for my 6x6. On each attempt, when I am asked to provide a VIN or model, they FLATLY refuse to assist saying that they cannot supply parts for the Military vehicles, despite a VIN not being required to ID the part as I am requesting a specific part and provide the LR part number. At no time was I told that the part is out of stock or required to sourced in as I never even get the chance to quote the part number. I am shut out as soon as I reveal it is for a Perentie.

My parts purchasing has by necessity been through aftermarket or second hand, or "favours". A few items I simply have not been able to obtain.

But it's nice to know they are happy to talk to us, hey?  :D

303 Gunner, can you let me know (here or via PM) which dealers so that the information can be passed on and the situation rectified please?

Before the first auction the dealers were advised that they would see an upswing in the demand for parts for the Perentie and Bushranger vehicles, and that if stock was on hand that it was available to be ordered and sold.  But if there was no stock on hand, that there may be a minimum order quantity (as with any manufacture run for any item).

As to prices, for genuine items i've found LR to be cheaper often than other outlets selling the parts, Or very close to the mark. aftermarket parts are of course a completely different game.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:13:21 PM by Phoenix »
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
That's really good to hear.
Now, perhaps JLRA should advise their dealers.
All the parts I have wanted, the dealers I have approached have told me the parts were listed as NLA. One dealer. their spare parts department even said to me "We wouldn't be able to get anything for something that old."

Maybe, you could get JLRA to make available to REMLR the PDF's of the spare parts catalogs so we could easily find and order the parts with their part numbers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:28:38 PM by Mick_Marsh »
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer