Author Topic: Ignition Switch Wiring Dilemma - Please Help!  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Lionelgee

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 18
  • REMLR No: 353PY
Ignition Switch Wiring Dilemma - Please Help!
« on: June 17, 2014, 01:24:52 PM »
Hello All,

While I was moving the engine around my shed it went unnoticed that the wires were pulled away from the ignition switch. Somewhere in the past the motor must have been a training aid at a TAFE College somewhere as it sits on a hardwood frame.. Whoever wired it up also constructed their own electronic ignition system and they were not worried about following standard Land Rover wiring codes for a 2.6 Litre engine Land Rover Petrol six cylinder.

So I am left with a ignition switch and five female spade fittings and I am not sure which spade fitting should be located where on the ignition switch. It being an electronic ignition system which would dislike a short circuit is a bit of a worry - so I do not want to whack any old wire anywhere .

The ignition switch has eleven terminals made up of two groups of four joined terminals and 3 single terminals. All the terminals are male.

The left-hand group of 4 terminals has the word ACC written on the Bakelite base.

The right-hand group of 4 terminals has the word IGN written on the Bakelite base

Running in vertical row between the left and right clusters are 3 single terminals. The bottom most terminal has the word BAT written on the Bakelite base

I have chased the 5 loose wires and here is where they terminate:

Yellow wire to left-hand bottom terminal of the starter solenoid

One of the red wires has an inline fuse that is fitted to the centre terminal of the starter solenoid and it is under the wire that forms the positive battery terminal

Another red wire runs around the back of the engine and then connects to a terminal on the Coil

A cloth covered wire with a purple line has a junction: 1 junction goes to the "charge lamp" the other junction runs about a metre and finishes with a round terminal crimp that probably fits onto a bolt somewhere? This end of the wire is totally loose and I have no idea where it would have fitted?

The last red wire goes along with four other wires towards the front of the engine and the red wire is screwed into a terminal block and it is level with the label of "Ignition" The terminal block is mounted on top and integrated into a box of electronic trickery with no obvious manufacturer. I think an auto-electrical TAFE teacher might have home constructed it. However no wires are joined to this red wire.

So which of the five currently loose wires would fit where on which terminal located at the back of the ignition switch.

Please see the attached drawings to hopefully make some sense of my dilemma.

I suspect that the ignition was off a ex-Army Land Rover after it had left the service as my other civilian Series 3 Land Rovers do not have so many terminals at the back of the ignition switch. It would be handy if I could find a manufacturer name and some part codes!

Your assistance would be most gratefully appreciated

Kind Regards
Lionel
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:40:26 PM by Lionelgee »

Offline Lionelgee

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 18
I identifed the Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »
Found the Ignition Switch
Hello All,

The things you can find if you take a hunch. I had turned the ignitions switch over and gave it a go over with a wire brush to find any identifying marks - none.

I then looked at the key which I had to drill a new hole into because the key ring hole had broken out. It had the words Pollack USA. I figured this could either be the original key or the name of the replacement key people. I typed in Ignition Pollack USA and the number on the other side of the key 801, into a search engine and it led me to an Australian eBay seller.

Here are some photographs from the seller and they confirm what my ignition is a Pollack and has the same number of terminals

I have arranged Photograph 1 so it is in the same position as the drawing I attached to my original message so you can have some idea of the terminal arrangement.

Kind Regards
Lionel
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:47:15 PM by Lionelgee »

Offline Lionelgee

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 18
Re: Ignition Switch Wiring Dilemma - Please Help!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
Hello All,

I have done some digging within the manufacturer's website and I think I have worked out labells for each terminal blade. Please see the attached diagram.

The terminals are labelled

IGN
ST                   GR                   BAT +
ACC

I am only guessing from the other product data sheets that the middle terminal once was labelled GR

Can someone confirm that GR may stand for Ground - Earth
What would ST stand for?

It is hard to see however it looks like a little + symbol is on the other side of the single BAT terminal blade

Do these photographs make it easier for learned people to sort out where the 5 currently loose female fittings should be located on the 11 terminal blades so I can safely start the motor?

Kind Regards
Lionel
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:02:21 PM by Lionelgee »

Offline Doddy

• THANKS 5
  • REMLR No: 343
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »
Hi,

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams on the REMLR web site.

http://www.remlr.com/wiring.html#s3

Wiring diag is a bit convoluted and there is more than 1 variant.

ST probably is starter motor solenoid.

Regards

Peter

Offline m-coffey

• THANKS 23
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »
basically the +12v supply, should be the only wire with power on with nothing else connected goes to the battery terminal BATT+
ST is the starter solenoid wire
ACC, generally the point of supply for radios, lights etc
IGN power supply for the coil, points, electronic ignition supply, generator excitation light.

to prove a point use a multimeter to confirm the solenoid wire to starter and leave it off
rotate the key around to acc position, usually clockwise one position from putting the key in and test for volts at the electronics supply
rotate to start position and hold, you should have power to the starter terminal, wont start as you have it unplugged!
back to off (key out) only power on the BATT+
rotate counterclockwise and only power on acc but not anything else.

should be able to plug back in the starter solenoid and attempt to start!