Author Topic: Charging Issues  (Read 1598 times)

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
Charging Issues
« on: June 13, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
My S2A FFT is ready to go on the road EXCEPT the charging circuit is not working. I have had the generator rebuilt and it passes the output test (f and d connected together and volt meter from them to ground)

The regulator F and D terminals are connected directly to the same terminals on the generator with the B connected to the solenoid and thus to the battery. When I do the voltage test (voltmeter from D to earth, paper between the cutout contacts) I get a reading from about 1 to 2.5. Now I will admit I am using a multimeter and not a moving coil voltmeter.

Can anyone please suggest where I should go from here.

Howard

PS I have been working on this every day for five weeks and it is really frustrating to be held up by this at the end...

Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline Doddy

• THANKS 5
  • REMLR No: 343
Re: Charging Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
Hi,

Is this the wiring diagram for your landy.

http://www.remlr.com/documents/Wiring/11013005.pdf

Wondering why you have paper between contacts.
Is this simulating the condition in which the battery is fully charged in which case there would be no output from generator.
Not an auto electrician just a radio tech so I might have that completely wrong.

Should be nothing wrong using a multimeter providing you don't try and measure voltage with it set to read current.

Tends to let the smoke that all electronic devices run on escape. (Sorry radio tech humour)

Regards
Doddy

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
Re: Charging Issues
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 07:28:37 AM »
The paper in the cutout contacts is described as onevof the test in the s2a manual I have.

After a bit of digging last night it could be that it needs to be polarised - it has been sitting idle for a couple of years... Will try that this morning.

Howard
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer