Author Topic: Penenite heater  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Electric C

• THANKS 3
Penenite heater
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
How are these heaters, good? bad? Or absolute ****e like mine is? If there no good ill do some modding and put it the cab side of the firewall. That will come if they are that bad! Altho if they are good mine just needs a flush

Offline AlexR

• THANKS 32
  • REMLR No: 402
Re: Penenite heater
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Mine works really well. Even with the sides up!
1989 Perentie 110 GS and No. 5 trailer
1974 series 3 cab chassis
1987 Perentie cab chassis

Offline smcg631

• THANKS 4
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:00:48 PM »
Mine works pretty well. On a cold morning with the rear flap up (the little peep-hole, not the whole back) it keeps me nice and toasty. Make sure your cables are all moving freely for the heater control as well as the fan control.

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »
They're excellent. Better than a Series Three. Much better.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline Electric C

• THANKS 3
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 08:27:27 PM »
Cables are up the poo as they are bearly hanging on the dash (pervious owner really messed with it) but I have moved it manually, guessing that's the cable on the top of the box. I have a slight bit of warmed air (my breath is warmer) looks like a flush is in order!

Offline Electric C

• THANKS 3
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
High pressure flush fixed it works well now! Can't say the same for the dash

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »
Cables....I have moved manually, guessing that's the cable on the top of the box.
Cable control on the top of the heater box controls the source of the air, cable on the engine side of the box (below the inlet heater hose) controls the temp.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Perentie heater
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 09:07:08 AM »
 :) time for more info on the Perentie/Defender Heaters!

I am removing/replacing the Brake Booster on one side and removing/replacing the Heater box on the other side of the firewall. This is a pre-cautionary check for firewall rust and to replace the footwell anti-water ingress seals. My Perentie is close to 30 yrs old and the anti-water-ingress foam seals may be crumbling.

Certainly the foam seals inside the heater/blower box would be crumbly and decomposed.

I was going to dismantle the heater box and recondition it as per the video from Britannica restorations ( http://britrest.com )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTZ35916EhI

A heater is a good idea in Canberra winters.

----------------Lately some new heater boxes showed up at the AFM Auctions.

"We" got 4 heaters in a lot for about $300. Good value to say the least! Complete with matrix and loom. And one for each Perentie in the family.

They are new in box. They appear to be the Bushranger unit CYG9196 (with suppressor) yet the LRA cartons have a sticker saying CYG9197.

Q1:
I will replace the heater hoses. Can any member with more experience see a problem running longer heater hoses along the side of the LHS wing to get the heater hose off the engine and away from the hairdryer?

Q2:
In the attached Perentie firewall photo (not mine) I have outlined in yellow the blower outlet or entry into the cabin. You can see the remains of the foam gasket adhesive and it indicates the heater outlet for the air is double the size of the cutout in the firewall. Anyone know why? The video series linked above hints to enlarge the cutout to suit the blower... it that ok? Is an ADR in play or something?

Q3: In the photo I used red arrow to indicate the mounts. The higher mount on our Perenties have 2 bolts and a basic bracket to the heater assembly. The new units we purchased are presumed to be from the Bushrangers/TD5 era and have no corresponding holes for the bracket. No bracket at all. Maybe this is one of the little Solihull-assembly-worker-time-and-motion-consuming items that LR engineers made redundant with a piece of plastic or something?? Do I have to go to a LR Workshop, find a TD5 and check how they secure the top of the heater or does a member here know?

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 07:52:42 PM »
The heaters we have are definitely from the Bushranger production, for the 6x6. All Perentie and Bushranger Heaters were suppressed.

"The higher mount on our Perenties have 2 bolts and a basic bracket to the heater assembly. The new units we purchased are presumed to be from the Bushrangers/TD5 era and have no corresponding holes for the bracket. No bracket at all." is what I posted above. Apparently the mod to standard 4x4 heaters was made to fit the 6x6 firewall. We should be able to revert the mods and install something close to the original 4x4 mount.