Author Topic: Defender Wolf RAD HAZ / Thermal Insulation kit??  (Read 17269 times)

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
  • REMLR No: 383
Re: Defender Wolf RAD HAZ / Thermal Insulation kit??
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »
G'day all.....

So I have managed to fit the rad haz kit with only just a few more bits to secure down. It is a little bit fiddly, but pretty easy for the most part. The kit comes with three sections, cab, middle and rear...and it weighs about 7kg all up. It has straps, buckles and velcros too for the fitment. The kit I bought did not have instrcutions, but was easy enough to work out how it went together.

I noticed instantly the difference in temperature in the rover while I was fitting it, when driving, and the noise has reduced quite alot. Mainly the noise from the canopy and wind, but, it was a massive improvement from what it was before fitting it. It certainly has a more comfortable feel inside now, and I can even feel the heater working!!!!!

Any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Hi Plattman, do you would this kit suit 109" FFR?
Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128
No.5 trailer 101-026 (with 100 gal water bladder)

Offline plattman

• THANKS 2
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »
G'day Daryl,

Below is the advert from the guy I bought it from. As highlighted, it should be easy enough to make it fit a 109. I can't see why it wouldn't fit.  I have seen them used in hardtops too. In my opinion, it is worth the money just for the noise reduction alone!!!!!!

Platty

"THESE ARE THERMAL INSULATION KITS MADE FOR THE ARMY. KEEPING THE HEAT IN DURING THE WINTER AND THE HEAT OUT IN THE SUMMER WITH THE ADDED BONUS OF OFFERING LIMITED PROTECTION AGAINST RADIATION. NO ONE SHOULD BE WITHOUT ONE THESE eh ?

THESE ARE MADE FOR THE MILITARY 110 WOLF HARDTOP OR SOFT TOP LAND ROVER,THEY COME IN 3 SECTIONS (AS SEEN IN PHOTO) WITH A FITTING KIT SUPPLIED. NO INSTRUCTIONS THOUGH.

PHOTO SHOWS KIT SAT ON THE SOFT TOP FRAME OF A DEFENDER 110, IT SHOULD BE FITTED UNDER THE FRAME. THERE ARE VARIOUS VELCRO STRAPS AND THINGS FIXED TO THE SECTIONS TO HELP FIT IT ON TO THE VEHICLE.

WOULD NOT BE TO HARD TO MAKE IT FIT TO ANY SOFT TOP LWB SERIES 2 / 3, 110 OR DEFENDER.   DEPENDING ON HOW KEEN YOU ARE YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE IT FIT A SWB 88 OR 90."

ALL KITS ARE NEW AND BAGGED

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
Fitted mine today, bit of pain with the rfsv
Boat racks will need to come off to get the outer straps over the higher rops
1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images © 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
Drove Max today first time with the Insulation kit in, and even not fully fitted yet its made a huge difference to the noise.

My kit came with a fitting kit, and I do have a large pile of bits I have no idea where they go.  But I think well worth the money. Glad I got a few..
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Offline plattman

• THANKS 2
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »
Drove Max today first time with the Insulation kit in, and even not fully fitted yet its made a huge difference to the noise.

My kit came with a fitting kit, and I do have a large pile of bits I have no idea where they go.  But I think well worth the money. Glad I got a few..
Mine also came with some other bits and pieces and a bag of hex nuts, however......my three year old was helping me, I have no idea where they are now!

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
G'day Daryl,

Below is the advert from the guy I bought it from. As highlighted, it should be easy enough to make it fit a 109. I can't see why it wouldn't fit.  I have seen them used in hardtops too. In my opinion, it is worth the money just for the noise reduction alone!!!!!!

Platty

"THESE ARE THERMAL INSULATION KITS MADE FOR THE ARMY. KEEPING THE HEAT IN DURING THE WINTER AND THE HEAT OUT IN THE SUMMER WITH THE ADDED BONUS OF OFFERING LIMITED PROTECTION AGAINST RADIATION. NO ONE SHOULD BE WITHOUT ONE THESE eh ?

THESE ARE MADE FOR THE MILITARY 110 WOLF HARDTOP OR SOFT TOP LAND ROVER,THEY COME IN 3 SECTIONS (AS SEEN IN PHOTO) WITH A FITTING KIT SUPPLIED. NO INSTRUCTIONS THOUGH.

PHOTO SHOWS KIT SAT ON THE SOFT TOP FRAME OF A DEFENDER 110, IT SHOULD BE FITTED UNDER THE FRAME. THERE ARE VARIOUS VELCRO STRAPS AND THINGS FIXED TO THE SECTIONS TO HELP FIT IT ON TO THE VEHICLE.

WOULD NOT BE TO HARD TO MAKE IT FIT TO ANY SOFT TOP LWB SERIES 2 / 3, 110 OR DEFENDER.   DEPENDING ON HOW KEEN YOU ARE YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE IT FIT A SWB 88 OR 90."

ALL KITS ARE NEW AND BAGGED

thanks v.much Platty. I live in the Vic high country so it could be advantageous for the winter snow trips! LROCV do a 'Leaf springs & Summit' annual trip to Mt. Skene, I could be the envy...a heater AND insulation. All I need now are the heated front screens and I'm set.  8)

Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
BTW chaps, how does the front part connect to the windscreen? The rear sections look straight forward enough though how are the bottom edges fastened to the body?

cheers, Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »
Not the best picture, the kit comes with x4 buckles that attach to the screen inner lip, theses then match up with the 4 straps that run from the back.

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 07:26:45 AM »
The more I drive it the more I like this idea, makes it feel a little more car like too...

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 369
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
The more I drive it the more I like this idea, makes it feel a little more car like too...
Mods, remove this interloper immediately for such barefaced sacralige!! >:( :o

stirer!
Kind Regards, Barefoot Dave.
Reunited with my old mate, RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
D2 TD5 Auto
Gone:'91 RFSV, '88 Truck Carryall 48 358. Both cared for by REMLR members.

Offline plattman

• THANKS 2
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »
BTW chaps, how does the front part connect to the windscreen? The rear sections look straight forward enough though how are the bottom edges fastened to the body?

cheers, Daryl
I haven't got to attaching them to the body yet..... however the front connects by the tension straps just above the visors. You will see where the hook can fit, it just clips there and you are set.

Platty

Offline Uncle Ho

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 003
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
Aah! all these wimps that want to make a soft top feel like a hard top or sedan ::) the true beauty of a soft top Landrover is the happy flapping of a canvas top at speed  :D

Offline plattman

• THANKS 2
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »

cheers, Daryl
I haven't got to attaching them to the body yet..... however the front connects by the tension straps just above the visors. You will see where the hook can fit, it just clips there and you are set.

Platty

Just an update, I secured mine to the front by releasing the windscreen clamps. I then placed some of the kit under and tightened the clamps back up. In relation to being wimps......us wimps will be warmer this winter (I can feel the heater working now), and be able to have a conversation without asking to say again over and over due the ringing in the ears from all that "flapping"!!!!  ;D

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 12:35:43 AM »

cheers, Daryl

Platty

Just an update, I secured mine to the front by releasing the windscreen clamps. I then placed some of the kit under and tightened the clamps back up. In relation to being wimps......us wimps will be warmer this winter (I can feel the heater working now), and be able to have a conversation without asking to say again over and over due the ringing in the ears from all that "flapping"!!!!  ;D

SORRY DID YOU SAY SOMETHING ;D ;D
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Hot Rover

• THANKS 98
  • REMLR No: 319
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 07:57:35 AM »
I have never heard any noise as I already have TINITUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for yelling I couldn't hear myself due to this dam noise in my head. So solution save your money and drive your vehicle lots and you won't hear it any more. One other tip I cancelled my gym membership, I decided not to get power steering so I get an upper body workout.
 Cheers
Rod
108-545 1963 Series 2A FFW
51-441 1991 Perentie GS (RamRod)
Series 2 Safari (Matchbox)
173-621 1/2 Ton Trailer, Aust No5