Author Topic: Cam netting  (Read 8481 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Cam netting
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
You'll have to get in the Que (baaaaaaaaaad pun). Also checking around for a jack for me. Already found: a 110 4x4, 6x6 and Mog combination "Driver's Handbook" LWP-G 4-3-1 (similar size to the logbooks with a spiral binding, sort of like the original user manuals with the green plastic covers).

Offline lucipla

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 10
  • 49154 FFR + 101015 # 5 trailer
  • REMLR No: 410
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »
Hi Carzee

Any chance to get a copy of the drivers handbook for the perentie ?

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
I have looked out for a proper green plastic cover one for about 7 months now. No joy yet but I keep looking. I remember I had one but I sold it or swapped it a year or two back. It may have been 303Gunner (Lithgow area) who we haven't heard from in a fair while. Just got to keep looking.

The combo one I got the other day is nice but its from 2004 and doesn't have a green cover as its not the original one from '88.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
  • REMLR No: 488
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 02:36:19 PM »
An old topic to be sure, but for anyone who has a vehicle cam net they probably still have issues finding spreaders which will work.

After attempting to get hold of Aussie, British and US cam net pole and spreader sets I eventually defaulted back to repurposing easily-available camping store items. The spreaders I use are designed to interface with extendable steel or aluminium poles and were originally developed for people who could not pitch a tarp properly without it sagging. It's called a Supa-Peg Tarp Saver (https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/supa-peg-tarp-saver) and it's a folding X-shaped spreader. It comes in a fetching shade of emergency fluoro orange, but this problem can be alleviated by the judicious application of some flat black or "earth" coloured paint. Being pretty compact when folded, these spreaders can pack away easily.

They worked OK during the test pitch of the cam net, but I'm thinking I'll cut some notches in the orange "X" spreaders to help them hold a bit better in windy conditions.

They and the poles I use are not issue equipment, but they should do the job for events. The Ping Pong bat things are from a British cam net kit and they work pretty well for adding some needed lumpyness to the sides of the net.
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline craigb

• THANKS 25
  • REMLR No: 488
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 11:07:33 PM »
From LWP-G 4-3-1, Driver's Handbook, 2004

Camouflage Drill -

The drill for a woodland environment is:

a. site carefully under or near natural cover;
b. cover reflective surfaces, for example, lights, windscreens and mirrors;
c. break up contained shadow by lowering the back of canopies and placing hessian or brushwood around the bottom of vehicles and equipment;
d. drape the net over the equipment and, where possible, peg it to the ground 1 to 2m away from the equipment;
e. push the net away from the equipment using poles and spreaders. The net is to be at least half a metre away from the equipment so that shadows can form and allow only the minimum of light to reflect from underneath;
f. addition of natural vegetation as previously explained; and
g. view the camouflage from realistic distances, at least 100m and from all angles possible.
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963