Author Topic: Testing 12V coil  (Read 1632 times)

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 254
  • REMLR No: 70
Testing 12V coil
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:43 PM »
Can some one tell me if what I'm doing is correct, I'm trying to work out if my coil is suitable to use with electronic ignition. The vehicle is a Series 2A (Ambulance) 12V - earth, I have disconnected the wires x 3 from the coil, using my multi-meter, with the + wire off the meter, onto the + terminal on the coil, and the - wire into the coil where the coil/dizzie wire sits, I get a reading of 6.69ohms (with the meter set on 20K!), the instructions say something about the coil has to have a reading greater than 1.4ohms, am I safe, did I do the test correctly???, hoping somebody has the time to read this and steer me in the right direction, cheers Dennis

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
Re: Testing 12V coil
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »
Dennis this has some info regards the coils for electronic ignition has resistance values

http://www.accuspark.nl/

http://www.international-auto.com/fiat-lancia-electrical-system/how-to-test-an-ignition-coil.cfm

hope this helps when I changed my series 3 6 cylinder to accuspark I burnt out the first module I put in by using a high resistance coil went to auto pro and bought a new low resistance one and no problems that was a couple years ago
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 254
  • REMLR No: 70
Re: Testing 12V coil
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
Thanks Geoff, I tested the coil and it seems OK, so I fitted it up with the exception of using the 'heat sink paste' for the time being, surprise surprise it started. During the fitting stage I noticed the wires from the module with the moulded plug did not fit in where the original part was removed from

and the subsequent sloppy fit in the side of the distributor

??what have other people done to get around this issue, I have sent images etc to the chap I purchased it from, but I don't know how long before I will get a reply, anyway cheers Dennis ???