Author Topic: 48-010  (Read 45883 times)

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
  • REMLR No: 403
Re: 48-010
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
I've let this thread slide a little as not much has changed with the Perentie until now.

Not being at all secure really limited the use of the Perentie for us, nothing could be left in it and you were always relieved to get back to where it was parked and see that it was still there. So for now, she has a cab. I'll let the pictures do the talking as we are leaving for Cape York tomorrow!

With canvas canopy:

And without canvas:

Running without tilt allows us to store the canvas until the trips where it is needed, preserving it for the sunnier months. As the canvas was almost new when we got it, it has been alarming to watch the amount it has degraded in such a short time. Now that I have it off the vehicle I'll have to research what i can do to get the colour back.

Changing from cab to full canvas is probably around 1.5-2 hours work (once you've done it a few times).

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »
Its only a personal choice, and I know the Perentie 6x6 prototypes had white cabs, but I would prefer the camo green to extend up the the gutter line.

Lots of Army vehicles had just the roof white and others like the Leyland Contractors had just the tropical roof white.
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline Minikeg

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 77
  • REMLR No: 316
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 12:26:22 AM »
 :D I was wondering if a single cab would be ok with the rops.. this answers that
I'm not completely useless.. I'm missing some of the pieces
110-415 'Agro' 1959 88" CR              111-676 'Pickles II' 1959 88" CR
114-270 'Maya' 1967 109" GS/WS      113-368 'Castrol' 1964 88" GS
48-975 'Reptar' 1988 110" FFR           48-932 'Widget' 1988 110" GS

Offline plattman

• THANKS 2
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »
G'day,

Love the cab, what year / model did you use? How much work and cost was involved in the modification??....if you dont mind sharing :)
The other thing, like others on here I have operated these rovers for a little while now (read a long time) both here and abroad. In relation to the cam pattern, there may be a standard pattern, scheme call it what you will.....but I know when the paint was bad... (we) painted them. when they needed touching up, especially if there was an inspection / parade. So it may just be that someone decided they liked that design!! I recall big tubs of paint lying around the hangars!!!

Unless your (or anyone elses) rover spent its days mainly driving around the bases on roads....there is every chance that they have had a lot of parts panels rims tubs etc etc replaced over and over and over. The good news is that they fix what ever breaks!

I persoanlly prefer the type of bull bar you have on it now, as they are easily modified to hold a winch :)

I know from experience what happens to them, I know how much they can take....believe me they can take quite a lot, and I know that they got repaired!!! And that is why I bought one :)

Platty

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
G'day Platty, the cab is off a Defender - I believe this particular cab was from a '93 but any Defender or County cab will work. All the necessary mounting holes already exist in the Perentie capping, so fitting is a simple nuts and bolts job apart from the sloping bracket at the base of the front ROPS hoop. That bracket needs to be trimmed for the roof to fit, but not much. I trimmed much more than was necessary, so don't use my pictures as I guide. The top part of the gun mounts next to the front seats were also removed (although I'm not sure this has to happen) and also the other two clamps that sit on top of the capping at the back of the cab. It's only a few minute's work to rivet/bolt them back on when you swap back to canvas.

I paid $850 for the roof from Land Vehicle Spares with trim and mounting hardware. I probably could have waited around for one to pop up in a private sale and got it cheaper, but at that price I wasn't too worried.

And yes Diana I agree that the back of the cab should be in cam, but that's a job for when I swap back to canvas :)  Too much effort and time, although such a small job pales in comparison to Gog! (I'm posting this from bed in the back of my Defender in Cairns on a month long Cape trip, so I shouldn't complain about being time-poor, but there you are :) )

Offline plattman

• THANKS 2
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 07:38:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply, that's awesome. I have been looking at doing it for a while you have answered the questions I had about doing it so thanks!!!
Looking forward to seeing it painted in cam :)

Platty

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 01:09:09 PM »
I noticed something interesting today on the Perentie - it seems she originally had bumperettes like the IPVs! I'd seen the bumperette compatible jerry can holders (i.e. with holes) previously, but had not thought much of it until now. I had a close look at the rear lifting points on the chassis today, only to note that there had previously been the bumperette mounting bracket welded on - unfortunately it has been ground off and the chassis sprayed with cold gal.

48-010:

48-006 (photo taken at Minto):

So I will be reinstating bumperettes to 48-010 when I get time. I can't see there being any point to them, but I'm heading down the path of returning 48-010 to it's original guise. It's an early example and has managed to avoid virtually all of the army upgrades (except the brush guard), so it seems like the right thing to do.

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
Well spotted, couldn't agree more with you returning to original condition.

Look forward to the progress

Regards
Scott
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Electric C

• THANKS 3
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
with your cab, how you go with the seat belts? or has mine been modified, so they bolt on to the rops?

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
with your cab, how you go with the seat belts? or has mine been modified, so they bolt on to the rops?

That's normal, all Perentie seat belts mount onto the ROPS. The cab also has seat belt mounting points included so when I put the cab on, the belts were unbolted from the ROPS and onto the cab mounting points. Same bolts and all.

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »
Well, I made some progress today. I swapped brushguards with a top bloke from Katoomba that most Perentie owners in Sydney would probably already be familiar with. The newer brushguard is really so superior in design that it is ridiculous, but nothing says Perentie like the traditional bar. Now 48-010 is that much closer to being back to '87 trim.

I couldn't be happier  :D I have also put this on my to do list:

The driver's side door catch strap retaining bracket has obviously fallen off and been ham-fisted back on. I'd like to fix it up, but I've not seen rivets like the originals before - anyone know where to get them?

Offline Electric C

• THANKS 3
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »
I'm sure there ones out of a electric pop riveter, I also need to do the same repair but some fool used self drilling screws in mine.

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
Today I knocked up a Sketchup concept drawing of the RHS bumperette and bumperette mount interfacing with the jerry holder. Looking at the reference pictures I have from 48-006 and the IPV folder (thanks Dave), the dimensions are as close to perfect as I can get. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take them to my friend the fabricator this week.

Also on the to-do list, pick up some Camouflage Green from Protec in Minto  :D

Offline Electric C

• THANKS 3
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
I still don't see a point to them, but by the time they got to mine they was deleted

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 04:22:57 PM »
I still don't see a point to them, but by the time they got to mine they was deleted

They didn't last long - the highest numbered Perentie I've seen with them is 48-012. It appears to only have one side with the bumperette compatible jerry holder and it doesn't look like it had the mounts on the chassis.

Wayne's 48-005 has had the chop too, it looks like they did a rough job on his - you can see the stumps. I haven't seen a photo of the rear of 48-001 to see if they've survived there. To my knowledge, of the ones we've seen so far only 48-006 has retained them to the present day.

But yes, they're completely pointless  :) I just want my Perentie to be as it was when it was new.