Author Topic: SASR LRPV and SRV(SF) Redeployment.  (Read 10080 times)

Tommy

SASR LRPV and SRV(SF) Redeployment.
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
I have been informed that all the SASR Perentie 6x6 LRPVs and the Perentie 4x4 SRV(SF) have now returned from Afghanistan and are in the process of being redeployed to commando units in the eastern states. All spares and technical data that the SASR had in their possession have also been transferred to these units. There is nothing left at Campbell Barracks.

There was talk of some 6x6 LRPVs being sent to 10th Light Horse at Karrakatta Barracks Perth, but I have yet to confirm this.

The SASR have retained three 6x6 LRPVs. One is in the museum (50-502 early version) and two late versions (50-873 & 50-?) have been kept on the books. One is now being used for promotional purposes and displays. Both will be kept in original condition.

Museum - 50-502

LRPV used for driver training 2008 (retained by SASR)

LRPV seen here at the SASR 50th anniversary display (retained by SASR).

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:51:53 PM by Tommy »

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 369
Re: SASR LRPV and SRV(SF) Redeployment.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
Tommy, your HumInt network rivals my own ;)
Well, mixed blessings.
The LRPVs are saved from scrap or 'Military Aid', BUT, we will be waiting for a few years more...

I don't understand what TAG East would do with the LRPVs other than pretend they are SASR *TIC*
The SFPV yep, but keeping the big'n's is probably just so they don't get lumbered with a GayWagon.
I would expect a significant change to the silhouette to re-task as an assault/ gun buggy.

At least I get a better chance of seeing one cruising around Enoggera :)
Cheers, Dave.
Kind Regards, Barefoot Dave.
Reunited with my old mate, RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
D2 TD5 Auto
Gone:'91 RFSV, '88 Truck Carryall 48 358. Both cared for by REMLR members.

Tommy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:14:50 PM »
Tommy, your HumInt network rivals my own ;)
Well, mixed blessings.
The LRPVs are saved from scrap or 'Military Aid', BUT, we will be waiting for a few years more...

I don't understand what TAG East would do with the LRPVs other than pretend they are SASR *TIC*
The SFPV yep, but keeping the big'n's is probably just so they don't get lumbered with a GayWagon.
I would expect a significant change to the silhouette to re-task as an assault/ gun buggy.

At least I get a better chance of seeing one cruising around Enoggera :)
Cheers, Dave.

The 6x6 LRPV is still an exceptional vehicle Dave. The SASR weren't exactly keen to exchange them for Bushmasters. Unfortunately, lack of IED protection was to blame :(.

I expect the 6x6s will be rebuilt and used for quite a few more years yet. They are a perfect vehicle for Australian conditions and add another dimension to commando units. The idea behind sending some to the 10th Light Horse was of surveillance. The Light Horse have morphed into that of a similar role to the SASR. Sneak up on the enemy and observe. I can sense a trip down to the Light Horse is in the making :)

On the subject of Gwagens, I hear the SASR are developing their own version :o
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:16:46 PM by Tommy »

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
I hear you.
If I was still in, I would be dreading the day the replaced my RFSV with the 6x6 G! The extra comfort would be offset by a LOT of extra walking from a suitable and accessible cache site for the big pig of a thing.
A cut-down RFSV has about 1/3 the visible mass of the alternative.
I would have thought that the LRPVs would trickle down to the RFSUs if anything. Ideal for Central squadron (NorForce), delta 51 (Gulf), or the South end of Pilbarra AR.
It surprises me that Cdo aren't getting the new G SRV (6x6 Surveillance). The only explanation is the Elephant in the room:
The G is just too heavy and unreliable. Not what you want at the pointy end of things.
The only other alternative is they are skipping the G generation, driving the LRPVs until the Hawkei SRV is online.
Cheers, Dave.
D2 TD5 Auto

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
What happened to the Nary SOV's?  I thought that they were replacing the LRPV's, or has there been too many problems there (apart from bulk)
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Tommy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
What happened to the Nary SOV's?  I thought that they were replacing the LRPV's, or has there been too many problems there (apart from bulk)

Still sitting at Campbell Barracks. They are too heavy and big to fit into a Chinook. Already rolled a heap and bent one in half :o

Tommy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 05:18:13 PM »
I hear you.
If I was still in, I would be dreading the day the replaced my RFSV with the 6x6 G! The extra comfort would be offset by a LOT of extra walking from a suitable and accessible cache site for the big pig of a thing.
A cut-down RFSV has about 1/3 the visible mass of the alternative.
I would have thought that the LRPVs would trickle down to the RFSUs if anything. Ideal for Central squadron (NorForce), delta 51 (Gulf), or the South end of Pilbarra AR.
It surprises me that Cdo aren't getting the new G SRV (6x6 Surveillance). The only explanation is the Elephant in the room:
The G is just too heavy and unreliable. Not what you want at the pointy end of things.
The only other alternative is they are skipping the G generation, driving the LRPVs until the Hawkei SRV is online.
Cheers, Dave.

I agree Dave. I suspect that the 6x6 LRPVs are simply a stop gap measure for the commando units. There is still life left in the 'old gals' so why not use them. A Hawkei 6x6 LRPV would be something to see though ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:21:15 PM by Tommy »

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:53:52 AM »
Well, this article explains the plan.
Cdo to receive the BIG Supacat extenda.
http://www.janes.com/article/42111/supacat-wins-australian-special-forces-vehicle-contract

To be MSA so may be a couple of years yet.
D2 TD5 Auto

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:31:17 PM »
Ahhh!!  Very nice.

But I thought the Supacat platform had a lot of problems in 4x4 form at least?
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
Problems?
A large budget MOTSA contract with problems?! I am incredulous;-)
I would expect the regiment to divest itself of all but a few of the Nary SOVs as soon as the more stable and lighter Hawkei SOV becomes available. Much more suited to their green ops.
D2 TD5 Auto

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
..... and according to today's interview with the PM in Baghdad, the LRPVs are once again 'outside the wire'... go you good thing !!

Pete
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:35:23 PM by AGAS 5 »
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR