Author Topic: RANGE OF A SERIES 2A SWB LAND ROVER  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
RANGE OF A SERIES 2A SWB LAND ROVER
« on: October 09, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on heading up to Dookie this weekend and given the possible fuel shortages could someone give me some advice on the range I can expect out of my Rover?

Without going into too much detail and variables what distance should I hoping to achieve on the two tanks of fuel?

I aim to be sitting on that 80 - 85kph speed and probably chug along up the Hume. Would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
Re: RANGE OF A SERIES 2A SWB LAND ROVER
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
In my experience with my old series 3 you can expect about 17-18mpg on the highway.

Tommy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
G'day Mick

Apart from the fact that you require this information due to the fuel crisis, it may be a great opportunity to make some notes on fuel consumption during your trip and then post up info on forum. I'm sure many of us would like to know the outcome :).

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »
Thanks Garry, that gives me some idea. That's sounds like a plan Tommy , stay tuned.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »
In a 4 cylinder 2A at that speed, you'll get around 16 to 17 ltrs/100km. Drop to 70kmh and you should get around 14 to 15 ltrs/100km. If you have good tyres, you may wish to increase tyre pressure a tad.

Have fun !

Pete
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »
Cheers, thanks Agas.

Mick

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
Hi all,

Just thought I'd submit a after action report from the trip to Dookie.

We set off the '63 Model Series 2A 1/4 ton GS at 07:39 , it was a beautiful day, the door tops were off, the canvas sides were up and the traffic was light. We travelled up the Hume Hwy and were possible the old Hwy travelling thru Seymour, Mangalore, Euroa, and Violet Town. After a couple of pit stops we arrived at Dookie around 12:00hrs.

There were around 20 vehicles on display , a couple of food stands ( inc a mess area) and a few military traders flogging their wares. The vehicles displayed included a few Willy's Jeeps one being a very good example of a WW2 LRDG vehicle with a .50 cal, 30cal and Twin Vickers k's on the back. There was I believe the best example of a Austin Champ I have ever seen. I reckon given the paint job, timber floor mats and polished brass it would not have been that flash in service.

There were a couple ex military motorbikes, one a lovely BSA, there was a Ferret Scout car that was immaculate, a fantastic Bren Carrier that was stuck on the float when it was unable to start and a reproduction field gun that would fire a shot throughout the day and for some reason not hit the silo a 100 meters away. There were a couple of Rovers there, one a not too bad series 3 and FFRMAN was there in his Perentie 110 and no.5 trailer - both looking immaculate. The new trailer from the Melbourne auctions fitted with a new tarp looking the part. There were a couple of US medium size trucks , one with a fifth wheel and quad axle trailer.  It had its own welding unit under the bonnet and we had an opportunity to see it in action when the rotisserie for the nights BBQ needed a running repair.

The Two International Mk3's were fantastic, one a very nice example of a GS the other a modified GS with winch dual cab. The best outback safari conversion you'd want I reckon. The local reenactment group went into battle and the Germans lost again. After a nice feed in the Dookie emporium cafe and more conversation with Mick Marsh , Scott and some other forum members, and checking out a Korea veteran Series 1 Land Rover with an American Star on the doors and a story behind it.

Heading back to Melbourne , this time via Shepparton.

The Rover with free wheeling hubs and a Holden Stromberg carby ( which will both be changed back to original) rang well between 70 -75 kph, temp sat between 150 -160 degree F . Travelling home she was working a little harder at between 75- 80kph for around 30k's when the temp reached the 170+ range and she spat out some coolant at a service stop. We then returned to the earlier speeds and worked between 2000 - 2200 RPM. The oil pressure was fine and after travelling approximately 490 k's and using 60 litres (approx) of fuel I reckon we achieved around 12.4 / per 100k's

I hope someone gets something from that? I think I will look at electronic ignition as one of our members suggested and possibly a thermo fan. Keeping in mind my want to keep the vehicle original. I would enjoy feedback on other members on this?

It was a great day out and look forward to my first Corowa Swim in next year.

Cheers,

Mick

Tommy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 08:07:06 PM »
Thanks Mick :)

My maths says that it is 18-19 miles per gallon (in old language). Thats pretty good going.

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »
Hey Mick,

Good to catch up,

I checked the fuel economy on the Perentie,

Ballarat to Dookie via Bendigo & Shepparton then back to Mooroopna on the way home was exactly 300kms, full when left then filled up at servo with 35lt - 11.67lt/100 km

Remember this is towing a number 5 trailer loaded with camping gear as well, travelling at 95 - 100km on the speedo (which is 5km out) so really going 90 - 95km.

without a trailer it does about 10lt/100km

cheers
Scott
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:20:19 PM »
Hi Scott, the Land Rover has come along way. I was pretty happy with my Rover, I'm getting to know her more. Any thoughts on electronic ignition and thermo fan?

Cheers,

Mick