Author Topic: Registering a 'Perentie' Landrover  (Read 161816 times)

Offline Young Eric

• THANKS 31
Re: Registering a 'Perentie' Landrover
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
You can also get a 45 day permit, instaed of the 90 day permit. It costs $67.50.
If you need more days later on, you can get another 45 days.
Trailers can also be on the club permit scheme, and are exempt from the TAC charge, my Number 5 trailer costs $22.50 for 45 days.

Offline philmcdau

• THANKS 3
    • Mobile Laser Quest
  • REMLR No: 399
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
Hey there,

Retired ARN 49 361 today in Ipswich Queensland. It now has civi plates.

Roadworthy done ny Mr Roadworthy, they came to the house $110.00 . The only issue he had was with the engine number but we sorted that looking through the logs that came with her.

QLD Transport was another issue...... Licensing Centre in Ipswich. It took them an hour to work out that it was no longer a Military Only registration and they had to mark it as 'no compliance plate' fitted , although checks on the phone showed it was compliant with use on the roads and Australian Standards.

They have actually registered it as a Defender 4 x 4 as they couldn't find 110 in their system, if they wanted to call it a ferrari I didn't care as long as it was registered.......

Purchased compulsory third party prior to registration from QBE, they listed it as a Landrover Ute, Class 6 ...... Licensing didn't like that and made it a class 1 passenger vehicle. Had to cancel the QBE insurance I paid for yesterday and purchase through QLD transport.

After all the mucking around it was really a pretty simple process without any major hassle.

I am just glad I can pull it out of the garage now and go play.......... 8)

Phil
1 x Perentie FFR  49 361

Offline Anis90

• THANKS 1
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
it was the same for me too I was in vicroads almost an hour looking and searching for the car, and on my rego sticker it says jeep ute, I realised that once I got home, but oh well all worth the wait

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
Sounds like your registration people are no different to ours in the UK. When my brother registered his 1944 Willys MB jeep many years ago, they entered "Land Rover" as the vehicle type in the registration document! He was most put out  :)
KVE President & Editor
MVG of NSW newsletter editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

Offline rowan mitchell

• THANKS 1
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »
How do all,

It's been a journey getting Lurch the 6x6 Perentie registered here in the Northern Territory but I have succeeded in getting a temporary 3 months whilst I deal with the issues that still concern them at MVR ( Motor Vehicle Registry ).

Note: It is now compulsory to have MVR check any of these ex-military vehicles unless you can 'hide' them as ordinary 4x4's - obviously a 6x6 is not so easy to fool them with heh.

So...what had to be done.

Remove sirens - I removed the horn from the front and they seem happy enough with that.

Remove red flashing beacons ( you cannot have blue or red but you can fit any other colour such as the amber or green ones - I will fit some later on 

I would avoid the indigo ones as they are a little to close to the red/blue ones )

Entirely remove all tool clamps on the bonnet ( I also removed the antennae mount as I found that the law states it must be on the left hand side to avoid driver vision issues and as far back as possible and mine was mounted on the right hand side )

Totally dismantle the black out system including all blackout lamps fittings on the front, rear and diff

If you wish to keep seat belts in the rear for passengers you will need to get approval  from the TAC ( Technical Advisory Committee ) and may need to pay an engineering firm for testing and compliance ratings. The rear facing seat will NOT pass without an engineering check which can cost up to 2000 dollars. Advice from an engineer on the phone is that it is unlikely to pass due to the way they are constructed as they do not back on to anything solid enough ( or mine didn't :-P  )
I have put on my application to TAC and now await the verdict

Because it is a heavy vehicle the rego cost is a little higher . I don't know how much a full year is but three months cost me:

Rego: $ 192.75
CTP Contribution: $ 127.90 GST Incl.
Admin: $9.00
Inspection Fee: 93.50 GST Incl.

The big hit was the stamp duty ( one-off fee ) which for me was $645.00 based on 3% of purchase price so I'm told.

I have attached a scan of the document they gave me. I apologise for the quality , particularly of the second sheet but my scanner is on the blink :-(.

Sheet two says it is recommeded to have:

an ignition key/lock or vehicle immobiliser
lockable doors

both these are for insurance purposes rather than roadworthiness.

My feeling is it is only going to get tougher.

MVR are pretty grumpy about these vehicles as most people are arguing with them about the required mods.

For me it is not an issue as I did not purchase Lurch to keep as an army vehicle so I am perfectly happy to comply with their requirements.

There may be avenues you can pursue to keep the fittings etc but I don't know what they are. Probably need to deal with the TAC over them ( such things as sirens, beacons, blackout etc )

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything in case I have missed something.

Rowan

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 369
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »
Geez, Mate. Talk about an epic!
What happened to NT being the easy going state?!

All Qld does is confirm the VIN, Engine and Chassis#!
Well don for perserveering.
Sounds like NT is the place to watch for ex-mil external accessories....
Kind Regards, Barefoot Dave.
Reunited with my old mate, RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
D2 TD5 Auto
Gone:'91 RFSV, '88 Truck Carryall 48 358. Both cared for by REMLR members.

Offline rowan mitchell

• THANKS 1
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
Geez, Mate. Talk about an epic!
What happened to NT being the easy going state?!

All Qld does is confirm the VIN, Engine and Chassis#!
Well don for perserveering.
Sounds like NT is the place to watch for ex-mil external accessories....

Yeah...

I think the reasons are two fold here.

ONE: this is a big armed forces place ( Darwin ) and so there is more concentration on these vehicles now that ADF have clearly stated that their ex-vehicles may not be at all acceptable to aussie road compliance.

TWO: This is a big redneck town and everybody wants to keep it all tough and army like ( not me....) and they have been very argumentative with the MVR inspectors which has got their backs up....and there is alot of 'temporary removals' happening.

I actually only got the 3 months temp rego becaue I was polite and ready to comply....after all...what am I going to use a blackout system for?

I kept all the wiring as it may be useful for other items...but like I said- I am wanting a 6 wheel drive fun machine, not an army vehicle. I want one of those I can join the reserves as a driver heh.

personally I was really happy the rego cost was minimal considering how expensive it gets in NSW :-)

As for externals...yeah I have a few now. But not the LED blackout lights as I had to drill them off and that didn't do them any good.

Once I have decided what to keep I will give the rest away to ex-military restoring types...haven't got much but no point having it go to waste :-)

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »
Why don't you keep the removed bits boxed up and hand them on to the next owner after you're done?
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 09:08:18 PM »
ONE: this is a big armed forces place ( Darwin ) and so there is more concentration on these vehicles now that ADF have clearly stated that their ex-vehicles may not be at all acceptable to aussie road compliance.

WHAT!?! When did they do/say this? Do you have a copy of any paperwork or statement declaring this? As compliance is a national requirement, this would have impacts in other States as well.

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 11:23:51 PM »

WHAT!?! When did they do/say this? Do you have a copy of any paperwork or statement declaring this? As compliance is a national requirement, this would have impacts in other States as well.
Simple, they have a compliance plate fitted, so they comply.
I noticed in the description of some "no compliance plate fitted". It must have been removed for one reason or another.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 11:45:15 PM »

Simple, they have a compliance plate fitted, so they comply.

The vehicle might comply but not necessarily the aftermarket accessories ie the convoy lights etc

Offline rowan mitchell

• THANKS 1
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »

Hi again,

I apologise. I may have over reached.

The only documentation is what I attached and in that it is implied that they may not be up to scratch.

Outside of the 'extras' such as blackout/convoy lighting etc it is now being suggested here ( see document ) that the upper anchorage for the safety belts in the front may not be strong enough and  the rear seatbelts may need engineering compliance checks The more these items are investigated the more potential there is for it to become a bigger issue and thus for more issues to be found.

It could get very costly for folks if we find we need to make structural changes to the seatbelt anchor points or pay engineering firms to check/test them.

Some of this is also word of mouth. The inspector I had third time round was ex army and he told me that the army 'was aware' of these issues when they put these vehicles up for auction.

Likely it will all calm down once the bulk of the vehicles have been processed but the attitude that is being handed out by people trying to register vehicles here is not helping.

All inspectors I have had to deal with are unhappy about the vehicles and the troubles they are getting from people when they are told they need to do this and that to get the registration.

The more this occurs the more scrutiny we will get and possibly the more issues that could come to light.

So sorry if I freaked anyone out and I hope I have clarified my statement.    8)

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »
Seatbelts are covered by the ADRs and will have the appropriate numbers on the compliance plate so they are compliant - the NT inspectors are barking up the wrong tree on this aspect.

Garry

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »
I suspect some inspectors have been listening to the prerelease rumors from the tojo driving brigade. Garry is right the seat belts are covered under the compliance plate and adrs noted on it, if inspectors take it upon them selves to make new rules then they will have a lot of unhappy customers :(
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline rowan mitchell

• THANKS 1
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »
Yes I agree MVR challenging the ADR rating is pretty on the nose.....

That is why I am 'digging my heels in' over this particular issue.

I will be interested to see what the TAC makes of it as there seem to be other complications in regard to what else is in the back  ie: swing down stretcher frames , the adequacy of the seating/padding itself, ventilation and visibility.

I think they are pretty much making it up as they go along which is a very dangerous thing indeed!!!!

And, I also agree, is going to make people very unhappy.Well, it already has it seems...

I myself will be very disappointed if I can't transport people in the back as it will limit the use to only 3 people and that would be a shame.

There are a number of easy day trip journeys up here that would be great to take a bunch of people on for a family/friends outing or what have you

Guess I will let you know when I find out  :-\

Should have registered in QLD   :D