Author Topic: Series III FFR wiring  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
  • REMLR No: 383
Series III FFR wiring
« on: August 04, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
As per previous posts, I am currently rewiring some circuits in my truck from a wrecked FFR. I have done the Black Out circuit (not yet fully operating) and the Hour Meter Switch/lamp, Cargo and Brake fail circuits. The Hour Meter loom has been cut short 450mm after where it branches off to the meter. It consists of a PURPLE wire (cargo switch/lamp), twin WHITE wires (Hour Meter and Handbrake sw and lamp), EARTHS and two SLATE coloured wires (one with a White trace) that have ring connectors and that also continue on in the loom past the gauges.

Q 1...can anyone tell me what the SLATE wires are for? Maybe the CAV voltmeter? (they're long enough and positioned correctly). And where do they run to after the gauges?

I'm unsure where the loom runs after the gauges. It was partially removed months ago and I've forgotten.

Q 2...Does it run under the parcel tray and exit left side off the dash or exit the dash underneath the gauges and run externally along the bottom of the dash pad to the pass' side? There are two cable clamps on this loom but these offer no real clues. Presumably it then runs to the load area?

The wiring diagram illustrates that this loom accommodates the Handbrake warning light circuit. If so it would appear that it would take a circuitous route to the handbrake AWAY from the dash panel as its taped into the loom. In the civvie version this circuit runs forward along the chassis rail through the firewall and to the central dash panel (as mine does currently).

Help is desperately needed

Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128
No.5 trailer 101-026 (with 100 gal water bladder)

Offline Doddy

• THANKS 5
  • REMLR No: 343
Re: Series III FFR wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »
Hi,

My FFR loom has brown and brown with white stripe wires that go from the dash mounted Ammeter to the current shunt shunt in the distribution box. White and black wire in same loom to hour meter. Not sure of path taken in original fitting.

Not sure if this helps you

Regards

Peter

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 10:31:25 PM »
Gedday Doddy, aye it does. It confirms my guess of the Browns going to the ammeter and then into the load area (I suspected the distribution box and you've confirmed that) and has got me thinking again about the white wires. Two are paired up into a spade (I assume for the Hour meter) with one continuing into the loom with the brown pair and the purple. This'll run into the load area. There are three Earths in mine, two are paired with an eye connector and one with a spade (I've assumed for the Hour meter).

My guess is that maybe the handbrake circuit is separate to this loom (as per civvies models)  as I can't see how it could work any other way but I've no idea what the white wire would connect to in the load area.

Thanks v.much for your input, Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline Doddy

• THANKS 5
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
Hi,
According to standardised wiring diagram, a white wire goes from the ignition switch side of the hour meter to the coil of a relay in the distribution box. Other side of coil is a black wire in same loom back to earth at hour meter.
This relay drives a second relay in the distribution box to provide a sense input to generator from 24V system.

Regards
Doddy
Somewhere off coast of tassie

Offline Magellan

• THANKS 36
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 12:53:51 PM »
Ah that's it! ☝🏻️ I recall another part to the wiring diagram showing the distribution box etc. That must be on another page I printed off but don't have with me. I'll replace the handbrake warning light loom back to where it was.

I may even run the purple wire through to the cargo light, at present its getting its supply from the rear of the 2amp outlet on the distribution box. I've reconfigured the box to power a fridge and HF radio and replaced the 24v gauge with a 12 v Volt meter.

Thanks, you've cleared it all up for me. Now to route it correctly

Daryl
Series III FFR 30-128

Offline Doddy

• THANKS 5
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 01:14:44 PM »
Happy to be of assistance

Regards

Peter