Author Topic: New to forum, hoping for advice  (Read 544 times)

Offline Rad Yak

• THANKS 0
New to forum, hoping for advice
« on: September 27, 2022, 01:06:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum (and forums in general) and hoping for some advice. My name is John, AKA Rad Yak, and I am a military history buff/sleuth/amateur historian from Fremantle, WA. I have joined up because I am looking for help solving the mystery of the legendary 'Radioactive Land Rover' (often referred to as a 'Radioactive Jeep') which may or may not be buried at Leeuwin Barracks, having been contaminated during the Montebello nuclear tests of the 1950s. I have done a fair bit of research on this topic and have some good leads to share (for instance, it turns out there were actually two radioactive Land Rovers) but have not been able to conclusively prove or disprove the theory that a Land Rover is buried on the grounds. I am hoping some of you might be able to help me figure it out with the leads I have dug up.

Being new to forums I am not sure how to proceed. Should I jump straight in here or start a new thread under one of the other headings? RAN Land Rovers perhaps? Neither vehicle started out in the RAN (one was ex-Royal Navy and one was ex-Department of Supply) but both were salvaged by the RAN and brought back to HMAS Leeuwin in the fifties.

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 99
  • REMLR No: 217
Re: New to forum, hoping for advice
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 08:11:29 AM »
Start a new thread in S1, is my best guess.

Interesting story. Has anyone swept the grounds of what is now an Army base with a geiger counter?

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline Rad Yak

• THANKS 0
Re: New to forum, hoping for advice
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 11:36:32 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Charlie. I will do as you suggest.

And yes: Defence has conducted a number of radiation/environmental surveys over the years, most recently when Leeuwin was put up for sale in 2015, but their findings have been fairly unconvincing. I will include more details in the S1 thread.

Cheers,

John