Author Topic: Qld Rego Rule Change  (Read 2243 times)

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
Qld Rego Rule Change
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:59:39 AM »
By chance I came across a rule change that took effect in Feb this year relating to "Wheeled Armoured Vehicles" (typically Ferrets) and "Wheeled Armoured Vehicles Oversize" (typically Saracens). The change means they can now only have conditional registration (used for things like skid steers) and not full or special interest registration.

This puts more restrictions on their use (including a maximum driving distance of 50km radius from home, no driving on highways, motorways or freeways) and seems to me to be over the top - I will be writing to the Minister about it. The Ferret was designed for road use and the crazy thing with the rule change is that a roadworthy certificate is no longer required so what is the thinking behind this????

Have other states implemented similar changes?

Howard, owner of a Ferret that had club rego in Vic, full rego in Qld and currently special interest rego in Qld...
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
Re: Qld Rego Rule Change
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
Not yet, the worry is that when you start making a fuss the restrictions will spread to everywhere else.  (Not saying you shouldn't enquire or anything.)

We have to agree that the vision in the armoured vehicles is significantly restricted which is a risk on today's roads.

With the regular implement Conditional plate does it have a days/year restriction or additional cost?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:21:12 AM by Diana Alan »
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
Re: Qld Rego Rule Change
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
Cost is nowhere on their web site - you have to ring or visit an office to find out.

There are a range of restrictions which are confusing. For example for the Ferret you can use it for events as per special interest registration but it also says you need a permit from police and road owner specifying the route and you cannot operate at night or in poor visibility nor can you use a highway.

That last condition effectively stops me using mine as the main road for me is the Kennedy Highway. And what happens if I drive 50km on a fine day that then turns heavily overcast followed by nightfall?

Also, why the 50km limit? If it is safe to drive 50km, why not 60km, etc?

I don't agree about not complaining. We have uniform road rules and if this situation does not exist in other States yet it certainly will in future. The only way to stop that is to nip it in the bud!

A copy of the rules is attached.

Howard
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer