Author Topic: 6x6 fuel tank changeover  (Read 17592 times)

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
Re: 6x6 fuel tank changeover
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
Rob, the Pollak valve could be faulty. Simply unplug and see what happens. There is a clip on the top centre of the plug where it enters the valve. Your "Dugite Tester" will show if the fault goes away when you unplug.
Sometimes it is easier to replace faulty wires than to locate the exact point of the fault.

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
Thanks Paul,
Will try the next step.
I suppose that's why it's called electrickity.
Cheers Rob

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »
Paul,
I unplugged the Pollak connection then used my 'Dugite tester' and no light on the test lamp came on.  So no short showing anymore.
So does this mean that the Pollak valve itself is cactus?
Cheers Rob

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »
Yep, looks like it Rob. Double check by plugging in and out a few times to see if your observation is repeatable, then try again to see if it blows the fuse. There is a risk of confusion here because the Pollak does draw enough power to light the light - but not to blow the fuse. What you have done has pretty certainly proved that the wiring does not have a short circuit, and that is good news. They can be very hard to find.

Pollak is cheapest from Scintex.

https://www.scintex.com.au/products/pollak-fuel-valve-switch

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »

Pollak is cheapest from Scintex.

https://www.scintex.com.au/products/pollak-fuel-valve-switch

slightly cheaper still via ebay c&c - still from Scintex
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2018, 03:05:23 PM »
G'day Fellas,
Will do as you suggested Paul and double check. I was really hoping that it wasn't the wiring.
Will let you know how I get on. I will chase up a new Pollak valve during the week.
Thanks for all the help along the way to date.
Cheers Rob

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »
Fellas, I tried a number of times and the fuse blew when only the Pollak was connected to the harness. Will get on to ordering a new Pollak during the week. Fingers crossed this is it.
Cheers Rob

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 463
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2018, 02:08:19 PM »
 ;)   ROB ,for what it is worth , have rfsv and it had the same probs, bought a new pollak valve  from scintex and all probs gone , hopefully yours is the same prob ,gook luck,TONA,.

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
Thanks Tona,
I ordered one today from Scintex. 
Did you change the electrical connection plug when you replace it.  Also did you lose much fuel and did it require re priming?
Cheers Rob

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2018, 06:37:39 AM »
Thanks Dugite,
Will get myself prepared I have two full tanks and will try to tackle it on the weekend.
Cheers Rob

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2018, 06:44:34 AM »
With the rfsv at least, if each tank is below 50% it doesn't seem to syphon out. But have a good sized (10  litre should give plenty of time if it is syphoning) drain pan handy in any case.

Wear eye protection goggles just in case!  You wi!l be looking UP

Remove the electrical plug, remove the mounting bolts, loosen each hose connection on the Pollak, then it is a fairly quick changeover anyway - no fuel is under pressure.

Just check the mounting bolts first by taking one out and check that it fits the new Pollak.

The mounting bolt threads on your new Pollack may be different (Metric vs A/F perhaps ?) so you may need to find new mounting bolts.

Secure all fuel hose clamps and replace the electrical connection - check for function by listening with ign on and without the engine running as before (you could even do this with the new one before commencing installation).

The engine will start and run on the fuel remaining in the filter but may fail to self-bleed and cut out after a short while if too much air has entered the system while you were changing over.

Be prepared to bleed the system. Let us know if you're unsure how to do this.

If the Pollack IS cactus, don't chuck it in the rubbish - I would like to see what they're like inside with their magnets etc, but you have to destroy one to see this  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:41:51 AM by dugite »
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 463
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2018, 03:33:27 PM »
 ;)   ROB 6x6 , no did not change the wiring plug , just cleaned it well , blew it out sprayed a little silicone spray on it, did not have to bleed system as my fuel tanks were just in half full, if yours are full you may have to be very quick on the change over  or you will have fuel all over the ground and on your self, lets know if the pollak fixes you r prob ,cheers TONA,.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »
Use a pair of adjustible line clamps on the 8.0 mm rubber fuel lines as you change out each side, stops diesel going everywhere with a minimal diesel drible up your sleeve! 

Works like a beauty and makes installation so much easier and cleaner.  I changed out the hose clamps for all stainless steel construction too - no potential rusty hose clamps - another propblem removed.

STDDIVER

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »
Thanks fellas, 
For all the great input and direction on this issue I really appreciate it.  I should have the Pollak tomorrow and will give it a crack on the weekend.
Cheers Rob

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2018, 06:43:26 AM »
G'day, Dugite
Just in case I need to bleed the system.  I wouldn't mind a heads up on the procedure.
I have downloaded the maintenance and repair manuals but haven't looked that up yet. You may have a more simplified version.
Cheers Rob