Author Topic: No 5 Blueslip  (Read 19349 times)

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
Re: No 5 Blueslip
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2016, 06:03:03 PM »
Final check of lights and chains etc and tomorrow I can book it in for the blueslip.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:28:48 PM by STEVE F »

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 06:42:44 PM »
Steve - Nice modification with the chain holder! I like that ... Hmm will copy this good Idea!  ;)

Good luck with the blue slip - you are very well prepared!

Frank

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »
Steve - Nice modification with the chain holder! I like that ... Hmm will copy this good Idea!  ;)
Frank

have to agree - very smart  :)
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »
I have to say, while it looks good, I see a potential problem.
When you attach the chains that far back, the actual chain has to be pretty long to allow you to turn without pulling them tight.
If you ever have the trailer pop off the towball, either by forgetting to do it up or by a mechanical failure, the long chains allow the trailer tongue to hit the road.
I actually saw this happen last Tuesday while driving behind a guy with a load of firewood. We were driving through Latrobe and the trailer bounced over a section of roadworks and came off the towball. The tongue hit the ground, slid a bit while thrashing backwards and forwards and then dug in. He only had a single chain and it tore off on the trailer end. The trailer stopped almost instantly as it was loaded front-heavy and was plowing along a section of packed dirt where they were preparing to bitumen. We were only doing 50, but had it been faster or on a proper sealed road, the trailer could have gone anywhere.

Greg.

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
I have to say, while it looks good, I see a potential problem.
When you attach the chains that far back, the actual chain has to be pretty long to allow you to turn without pulling them tight.
If you ever have the trailer pop off the towball, either by forgetting to do it up or by a mechanical failure, the long chains allow the trailer tongue to hit the road.
I actually saw this happen last Tuesday while driving behind a guy with a load of firewood. We were driving through Latrobe and the trailer bounced over a section of roadworks and came off the towball. The tongue hit the ground, slid a bit while thrashing backwards and forwards and then dug in. He only had a single chain and it tore off on the trailer end. The trailer stopped almost instantly as it was loaded front-heavy and was plowing along a section of packed dirt where they were preparing to bitumen. We were only doing 50, but had it been faster or on a proper sealed road, the trailer could have gone anywhere.

Greg.

I did think about this but I can't realistically see how I could get around it, I didn't want the chain in front of the section where it bolts to the drawbar as if that fails then the chains go with it.  Even if it was half the length it would probably still hit the ground :(

On the plus side a standard hitch pin goes through the hitch where it attaches to the tow pin so it physically can't come off as well as a ratchet screw down, so it has two methods of attachment (unlike a standard tow ball) so the likelihood of it ever coming off is very very slim (but of course anything can happen)

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:16:51 PM by STEVE F »

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »
Passed the blue slip no problems, ARN number is now the stamped in chassis number and is being registered as a 1965 model, now just need the RMS to get their system back up so I can get a plate for it....

Tows really well with the McHitch, no noise other than the old rattle from an empty trailer having a bit of a bounce but don't even feel it's there.  I'm really happy with the state it is in now and got to finally check it on a level road to sit if it sits level... Looks like my measurements were pretty good.

Now where will I find a spare wheel for it?

Cheers
Steve

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »
change the wheels on your motor car to suit ?

I thought Suzukis had the same PCD - but maybe it's that they match jeeps.
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »

Cheers
Steve

And get a proper tow vehicle  ;D

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2016, 06:03:31 PM »
I have a few spares. I bought them for my trailers.

Cheers
Steve

Commodore wheels don't fit on No5 trailers.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »
I have a few spares. I bought them for my trailers.

Cheers
Steve

Commodore wheels don't fit on No5 trailers.

I think I might be good for a spare now, found another that is having a different axle and wheels put under it so will hopefully grab those.

Cheers
Steve

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2016, 06:54:09 PM »
Done, TR01DI or as I read it Trailer 01 Defense Industries ;)

Cheers
Steve

Offline STEVE F

• THANKS 2
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2017, 02:27:15 PM »
Just did the best part of 3000km towing the No5, Sydney to Fraser Island and back.  Stayed dry, despite freeway travel in a torrential storm, no sand in it (sand everywhere else though!!!) and towed great although got a bit bouncy running in the soft sand when the tide was up to high to run along the hard stuff.  I will be making a couple of mods though, first will be a spare tyre mount on the front to free up room in the tub.

Cheers
Steve