Author Topic: Minto Auction Inspection Feb 2019  (Read 1497 times)

Offline djdj96

• THANKS 0
Minto Auction Inspection Feb 2019
« on: February 17, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »
Hi guys,

New member to the forums here.

I was just wondering if anyone has inspected the 4x4 perenties up for auction right now in Minto? And if so, if they could possible please share some information regarding the condition of the vehicles etc?

Also, I purchased BarefootDave's guide which I found to be fantastic and will bring the inspection checklist with me as I plan to attend the inspection on Monday. However, I was wondering if anybody had any other tips regarding the auctions in general, inspections, and ownership?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys!

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
Re: Minto Auction Inspection Feb 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
Check the vehicle log book if it has one and check that all numbers etc line up, never assume anything. The log books have lots of information and I would be looking closely at work that has been done and Tech' inspections which can detail work that is needed.

But having said that they should mostly be pretty good, some though will be way better than others.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline djdj96

• THANKS 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:29:04 PM »
Great, will do. Thanks heaps for the advice!

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:21:21 PM »
Mike S. posted on facebook what he thought about the this month's handful of Perenties after an inspection. Loose or missing bolts on unijoints, bellhousings, brakes etc? Not happy Jan to say the least. So pay close attention to engine mount bolts etc. Also this policy of respraying... some finishes are good up close, some are not (surface prep not so good).

There were auctions 4 or 5 years ago where 3 dozen or more Perenties were on the block. Lately, as the fleet has dwindled the choice is down and the prices are rising.

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »
They are really good points Carzee, which show a prior inspection is vital. I have no idea why they are painting them myself.

I would sooner have one the way it left service, I glad my RFSV is this way.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 04:57:00 PM »
I relayed before that I picked up my Perentie and a No5 trailer and driving away after a big weekend of camping (Sydney LR Expo and Camden House Open Day) I heard a clunking and assumed it was the pintle movement. I went straight to rego and presented the roadworthy certificates and got number plates then continued with intermittent clunks home down the Hume to Canberra. A day later w/o the trailer I investigated why there was still a clunk out the back end and found that the A Frame Ball Joint was not wearing a bog ol' Balljoint Nut, Castellated.