Author Topic: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?  (Read 96633 times)

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
  • REMLR No: 339
Re: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?
« Reply #240 on: May 11, 2021, 09:21:05 PM »
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the advice.

I’ll give the light protectors a miss then.

The information about the springs has given me cause to review my options and I’m thinking of ditching the front parabolics in favour of a return to the 9 leaf springs as per standard.
I reckon it would have to be the way to go as the 9 leaf can be reset/retentioned to get the levels sorted whereas nobody will touch a parabolic.

I’m unsure why I went with the parabolics at the time but after having asked a couple of different spring resetting blokes about my wish to rectify the lean, they’ve both said no way they’d touch a parabolic.

I still have the original leaf springs in the garage but won’t be using them as I prefer to source another pair instead.
The originals, from memory, weren’t a matching pair as only one had a part number, the other had no markings whatsoever and also had 2 small leaves (spelled right?) floating unattached for some unknown reason.

I’m getting irritated with myself for not getting work done on the 109 in a timely fashion and I hope to get more done now that the weather is mild and my health has stabilised.

Thanks for the advice, it’s got me thinking...

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »
The 109 got some polish today, not too much, just 5 hours worth.
Still plenty more elbow grease required before the paint is back up to scratch.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2021, 04:45:14 PM »
The pictures don’t present just how shiny it is after being uploaded, perhaps due to a resolution limit but take my word for it, it’s pretty shiny.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #243 on: May 20, 2021, 03:12:00 AM »
Had to buy a new brake light switch.
The position of the switch atop the brake pedal box leaves the terminals exposed and I inadvertently clipped it with the sleeve of my coveralls and was surprised to discover it had snapped one terminal off at its base.
The horror...
They’re an awesome switch too, tough as nails, but unfortunately the exposed terminals let them down, or rather, don’t protect them from dickheads messing around under the bonnet.

Been reflecting on the cause for the failure of the original Davies Craig digital electric water pump and thermo fan controller.
The only thing I discovered when replacing the old controller with the fancy new one, and it caught my eye right away while pulling out the old wiring, was that one terminal pin in the temperature sensor was badly corroded. It’s the one which is mounted in the top radiator hose and is the primary data source for the Davies Craig controller.
I’ll be keeping an eye on that.
I note that the old plug connector which attached to the temp sensor had a turd of a clip which secured it to the sensor. The clip made the removal of the connector a hassle so once in place it was left alone coz of the voodoo...
This new wiring loom came with a new design of connector which has the turd of a clip suspended away from the connector and to unplug it you just lift the exposed turd of a clip, which is now lovely, wonderful, magic clip, and bingo, it disengages the sender with nary a single curse word. It’s great.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2021, 09:18:40 AM »
The 39 is coming along nicely.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2021, 05:44:41 PM »
There hasn’t been time to give any love to the 109 for several days, just too busy at the moment.

Between fixing trucks and trailers and machines, then picking up the slack and doing semi trailer work, there’s barely a spare moment.

On the bright side, the extra hours means extra pay so the beans are accumulating such that it wont be long before I have the loot in hand to get that distributor rebuilt/repaired along with the Weber carby rebuild/kit put through it.

I keep looking at the 109 as I drive into the yard and I’m starting to admire it again, which clearly means I’m losing the plot...

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2021, 07:59:06 AM »
Testing testing...
I noticed the engine temperature was rising rapidly after I installed the new digital water pump controller so I had a closer look at it yesterday using a laser thermometer and found the bottom radiator tank was relatively cool while the top tank was hotter than it should have been.

I have a suspicion that the nylon electric water pump has either failed or isn’t talking to the digital controller.

I’ll investigate it further this weekend and decide on the best course of action then.

Too early to tell what it is yet and the remedy might entail replacing the electric water pump or deleting it and going back to a mechanical water pump, not sure yet.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #247 on: August 23, 2021, 05:45:16 PM »
I’m currently in the midst of preparing the 109 for sale by auction.
It was supposed to be auctioned 3 weeks ago but I’ve just been too busy at work to give it a tidy up, so, I’ve begun taking time off work to get it ready.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:49:17 PM by navigation »

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2021, 06:28:38 PM »
Nav - Looks a treat!  It just shows what a great attitude, lots of skill and dedicated time can achieve!   Well done - I"ll be looking out for her!

Frank

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #249 on: August 24, 2021, 05:09:54 AM »
Thanks Frank,

It looked a hundred times better when I first built it.

Sitting idle for years in the open doesn’t do anything any good.

It was a tough decision to sell it but the reality is, it’s better off in the hamds of someone who has the time and energy to keep on top of it.

A dedicated tinkerer will fix it up in no time.

I simply haven’t got time anymore and I dunno what’s happened but time just escapes me these days.

I have to take days off work to work on it and unfortunately, things are only getting busier at work.

Weird but I always thought that as we progressed into old age that things slowed down for us, seems I got that notion altogether wrong.

Regards,

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #250 on: September 05, 2021, 08:04:06 AM »
Getting closer to auction day.