Author Topic: My life with Mk 3 Internationals.  (Read 4561 times)

Red Rocket

My life with Mk 3 Internationals.
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:02:55 PM »
I don't get a lot of time to spend reading messages on forums, but I came here because Brad asked me about putting his canopy pictures on the forum.  I've been away for a few days and I've just found that he has managed to do it.
It has been interesting reading the posts made in your endeavours to get your vehicles back to operational condition.

I have had 30 years experience with these vehicles, using them in the wildest parts of Australia to make a living. I have been as far from civilization as you can get in this country in these trucks, in the most trying terrain you can imagine where ten hours driving gets you 50km for day after day. The trucks never let me down. Many times I have thought " jeesus, how much more of this going can they take before something breaks?" Nothing ever broke.

The modifications I made to the trucks in that time were so small, you would never notice. A better catch on the jerrycan holder, small protector lugs in front of the tool box catches to stop trees from wiping them off. I widened the passenger seat to take two when necessary and fitted the Mk4/ F1 rev counter to the instrument panel. I made swing-in mountings for the original mirrors after crumpling up lots of those original ones with legs.
I fitted spin-on oil filters to make it less messy and less prone to ingress of dirt when doing oil changes in the bush. (The mounting block off the V/8 engine fits straight on)
All wheel cylinders are sleeved with stainless steel and and I fitted stainless pistons to them.
I changed two of the trucks to busses without changing the original vehicle., just by adding removable bits.
That's about it! A good vehicle doesn't need to be changed.
Sure, engines have worn out and had to be rebuilt or replaced, as have some other parts, but not many! I've ripped off brake hoses travelling cross country, and brake pipe too, but not much else.
Look after your truck and it will look after you and mine always did. We never flogged them and I knew the few little ideosyncrasies that needed watching to avoid a problem. So we had few.
I bought all my vehicles directly off the army......three Mk 3 and one F1 tipper. From Morebank, Banyo and Laverack (Townsville)
The chassis numbers of the MK3's are 37, 41, and 1121. The date of disposal of the 37 in the records is inncorrect. I still have the receipt.
I don't have that truck anymore, it's somewhere on Cape York Peninsular catching wild bulls.

They have been almost everywhere wild that it is possible to go in Australia. All the deserts, the Kimberley, Arnhem Land, Cape York.....Many times.
In the 1980's when I bought them, I also bought a lot of spares off the army and I have a lot still. However, you need to realise that the army only had lots of parts left that seldom were needed, the things that didn't fail.
Rather than me read through all your posts to see what you are looking for, email me if you are searching and I will tell you if I have any.
I have begun to write of my experiences in my life of travel, that began with Land-Rovers, so that I can share them with other people.
It may take a while but it eventually it will happen.

I started  with Land-Rovers and then progressed through ww2 Blitz's, Mk3's and now Russian Military vehicles in other countries.
If I can help you, let me know.
Red Rocket.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
Re: My life with Mk 3 Internationals.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:13:55 AM »
A Fascinating read, and an excellent insight into the post army ife f some of these vehicles.

The disosal dates on most vehicles are the dates authorised for disposal rather than the actual auction they were sold at which would explain the discrepency!
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Kaneya

• THANKS 15
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »
I can't wait to read your me moires, any pics you have of these brutes in the bush that you can share would be greatly appreciated. The canvas is awesome, but I've said that already and the pics are testament to that. I'm keen to hit the Wonnangatta valley next March in mine and all things being equal it will happen. Your endorsement on this truck has strengthened that resolve, although I may take a 44 of fuel along for the ride.

Thanks again Allen.

Red Rocket

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »
A picture from July this year. Location, Great Sandy Desert.
Persistence.

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 99
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »
Top posts Rocket! Keep the pics coming,

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Red Rocket

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
I have inserted a few pictures from the past that some of you may like to peruse.
The first one was on the gunbarrel Highway in 1994. The truck couldn't get traction and the cable was being pulled out to the truck in front rather than persisting until it was really bogged.
The  next one is on the track between Carnegie Stn and Glenayle, WA,
The third is on the same road.
The last is of S (for Sydney) getting a tug up the last part of a very steep sand dune in the Great Sandy Desert.
Red Rocket.

Offline Sambo

• THANKS 0
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
great photos rocket  :D