Author Topic: Nearly blew it!!  (Read 2993 times)

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
Nearly blew it!!
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
This morning after moving 112-501 into my neighbours yard (he is away) and moving 112-665 I took 113-372 for a run to warm up the engine before putting radiator cleaner through the cooling system, all done with no issues, after several flushes etc I re-filled the system (or thought I did) took it for a short run only to nearly die when I saw the temp gauge was up almost touching the oil pressure needle shock horror, luckily I made it back home without any issues, I've let it cool down for more than 1 hour and I'm about to refil the system and run the engine with the rad/cap off, I will soon know if I have damaged anything, cheers Dennis
image taken after I arrived home,,.

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
Re: Nearly blew it!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 02:56:32 PM »
Fingers crossed Dennis , good luck 👍

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 03:22:57 PM »
Well, it has been several hours now, I removed the thermostat as I thought it had malfunctioned, frantic search through my spare parts lot and I found 2 new thermostats, but they were the wrong type, then looking elsewhere I found another of the same type phew, after I had removed the old one and compared it with the new on I noticed that the bleed hole was obstructed

so I cleared the debris from it and set about checking whether or not it was faulty, so in the pot they went

they both fully opened around 75c mark, so I let them cool down and I refitted the thermostat housing without the thermostat, filled the system and went for a drive, the temp sat around 60<>70c which I was happy with, there is no obvious sign of any damage, the engine starts easy pulls strongly, all vehicles are parked up ATM so I will refit the thermostat over the weekend sometime, cheers Dennis

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:36:03 AM »
Well overnight I worked out what had happened, in my effort to clean the block of dirty water/sediment etc., I took the brass bung out of the heater outlet, and as the engine was cold the thermostat was shut, after clean water was flowing through, I re-sealed the brass bung with thread tape and proceeded to fill the system, but what I had done was create an air lock with the thermostat being closed, it's all good at the moment thermostat re-instated engine warms up to 70c that's where the temp gauge should be, so I think it's all go, cheers Dennis

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:10:50 PM »
Happy days.  ;)

Mate if we are honest we all have done something similar. I put a thermostat back in upside down 30 years ago in a car. That didn't end as well...