Author Topic: Mansfield, Mt Stirling, Razorback Hut, Pineapple Flat, Razorback to Chesthunt.  (Read 36163 times)

Offline Kaneya

• THANKS 15
Took a drive from Wangaratta, to Mansfield via Tatong. Then from Mansfield to Razorback Hut on Mt Stirling. Then camped overnight after carting water for the Wifes horses and down to Pineapple Flat and then over The Razorback and to Cheshunt. Except for running a tank dry and getting air in a fuel line along with a dirty carby needle, and not engaging low range properly on a steep pinch, stalling and losing air brakes, relatively uneventful. 1964 truck didn't  miss a beat other than my operator error. The Razorback was rather hairy, the pics do not do it justice.

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
That's a nice run in the truck. I'd love to take mine for a good run like that one day.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline Kaneya

• THANKS 15
Hey Mick,
I was annoyed with work that I couldn't get to Corowa, so I went for a mid week run. Mate these things can do it easily. I would happily do it again. I have seen the training pics of years gone by and wanted to emulate my own training run. Would do it again but over a few days next time. The consumption on the bitumen was about right at 40/100km. But I was pleasantly surprised that I only used about 20ltrs from pineapple flat to Cheshunt and I had i had it revving in low range. Capability was terrific, ground clearance was never an issue, just leaking air, but not quite critical.....although I did have a moment....at which point my copilot left the vehicle, luckily enough to identify the front diff hadn't engaged.....but we resolved that in a somewhat timely if not urgent manner, before dumping the rest of the air. I have identified my next new toy....and it can follow you while making movies, awesome.

http://store.3drobotics.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=branded&utm_campaign=branded&gclid=CjwKEAjwxKSoBRCZ5oyy87DimEcSJADiWsvgDovNJrrSaQ0RqWNWtgZ07oIu8FM2FxI-h_4FEjttNxoCQa3w_wcB

Offline GGG

• THANKS 33
  • REMLR No: 428
Looks like fun and brings back memories. How did you go going down hill in low range?

Geoff.

Offline Kaneya

• THANKS 15
Every now and again the back end stepped out,  ::) but only if I went in a bit hard to start with,  :-\ once I realised I was the only one in the race and moderated my entry speed I had no issues   ;D Going to Mt Stirling I had 600ltrs on board and two full 100ltr tanks so the ballast weight helped. I'm running original, almost new bar treads and they're not great at the best of times. 8)

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
Good to she you've still got the old girl and driving it!

Cheers
Scott
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Kaneya

• THANKS 15
Was touch and go Scotty, we are over the major hurdles. Good to know some of its capabilities. Not sure I'd want to be there if the 20,000Ib winch ever has to get deployed...

Offline dkg001

• THANKS 27
Nice photos Brad, the fun only starts when you have to get the winch out.

Offline GGG

• THANKS 33
  • REMLR No: 428
Its even more fun when the shear pin breaks.

Offline Kaneya

• THANKS 15
DKG, Mick and anyone else who wants to come. I Would love to get you boys together for a convoy through some bush....I loved the high seat and better viewing position, even snuck up on a Sambar stag at about 75yards. Bloke must have been def. I will admit to having tunnel vision during some of the more challenging driving. The capability of these things is magnificent. I'm hooked.

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
Kaneya,

I`d be up for that for sure.  I`ll bring my shorty and workshop trailer and we take some black and white pic`s then we could say they were taken in 1967 :-)

cheers,

Mick

Offline Kaneya

• THANKS 15
Sounds like the makings of a plan....

Offline dkg001

• THANKS 27
Could be worth thinking about, what time of year are you planning on? 

Offline Kaneya

• THANKS 15
If your going into that country, it closes June Longweekend and won't reopen until October. The October date is flexible dependant on weather, so certainty is before June or play it by ear after October. The long weekends are full of knuckle heads for their last run in the mud, and the down side would be if you get stuck, it maybe in there all winter. None of us want that.

I will have to book leave/ rest days the sooner the better. But I'd be interested in any thoughts, or interest.

Maybe a three day run, less if we are pushed for personal time.

We could accomodate any period rigs, or a few aftermarket/nonperiod recovery vehicles?

I'm thinking informal, you bring what you carry, we need a date and a distance/location. Although if you want to carry a kitchen sink and half the house, I'm sure we can accomodate. I transported a lot of air the other day at 40ltrs/100. But I did enjoy the motoring.

Offline dkg001

• THANKS 27
How about a trip leading into the next corowa swimin.