Author Topic: International Interchangeability of parts between Series Models  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Lionelgee

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 353PY
Hello All,

Interchangeability: what can fit which model?

From my very-very  limited knowledge of International trucks all the models within the D-Series  can roughly range from 1200, 1210, 1300, 1310 .... up to 1800

What were the complete range of models within the D-Series?

The earlier C-Series trucks look very similar to the D-series truck. Were the changes from the C to the D series mostly just cosmetic on the outside? Or were there major changes mechanically that would prevent interchangeability between the different models?

Up to what model  = for example, 1300 would the gearbox and transfer case fit into a 1210? 

Did gearboxes and transfer cases get larger as a truck's capacity increased? For example, would a 1800 gearbox fit into a 1210?

If not what is the model range - 1200 to .... ####  that would fit into a 1210 without major modifications to the chassis or the floor pan and firewall?

In the four wheel drive models - did the size of the transfer case change in say the 1210 to a 1300?

Is there a limit to what model vehicle's bellhousing would fit the 1210?

Why do I want to know about Interchangeability?

My apologies for all the questions. I am a novice to International trucks as the ownership of my own my vehicle can still be counted in days. I bought a D-Series 1973 1210 four wheel drive ex-Telecom Linesman's or Service van. The van came with a Cleveland 302 Ford Falcon motor; possibly an XA. It also has a possible XA automatic gearbox - amazingly the transfer case is still hooked up and it can engage four wheel drive.

My plans are to remove the Ford V8 and fit in a contemporary diesel engine to the van - a Perkins 6-354 diesel.

To do so I will have to return the correct size main gearbox and remove the Ford auto box.

Kind regards
Lionel
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 11:09:29 PM by Lionelgee »

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
Re: International Interchangeability of parts between Series Models
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:29:04 AM »
The is a divide in the IH trucks..... in the late C lines and D lines ,the 1600 went to a 2 piece large bell housing ,and with this, gearboxes from the bigger trucks will interchange ...IE ,the 5 speed box ,and OD 5 speed,and a Perkins or a V8 will fit more or less straight in (the 1300s stayed the same with the small one piece housing.).........Personally ,I d be very careful about swapping stuff ,simply because the transport cops have got all this information on their computers now ,once they didnt have a clue if something was factory or altered....If you have to go to engineers for approvals ,Id just forget it...John.

Offline Lionelgee

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 353PY
Re: International Interchangeability of parts between Series Models
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »
Hello John,

Way back in May 13, 2016 in a Diesel Replacement thread I started you replied: If you want to look at an Inter 1300 with a 354 Perk in it, there is one quietly rusting away in my back yard in Brisbane.

I am planning a trip to Brisbane fairly soon. I would like to take up your offer of being able to have a look at your converted 1300. Could you please PM me? Thank you.

Kind regards
Lionel
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:59:08 AM by Lionelgee »