Author Topic: New member  (Read 749 times)

Offline Lang

• THANKS 0
    • Next Horizon
« on: October 03, 2022, 04:59:17 PM »
Just joined to find (looks already done) a Series IIa SWB GS vehicle. Always liked those cut guards. I have had a few LR over the years and never loved any of them but give them grudging respect. My interests have been military vehicles and I have had just about everything from jeeps to tank transporters and I never thought I would say this but at this stage of life I am looking for a bit of history and a bit more "comfort".

Here is a photo of my first L/R. An ex-RACQ Series one a mate and I took from Southport to Mount Isa and back kangaroo shooting in 1963. I think it was 1949 - round top spring back seats We were both 16 and neither of us had a licence.

Next one is about 12 months later after leaving school we took an old survey LR (may have been Army Survey but more likely Department Of Supply Mapping Division) across to WA to work on oil rigs and main road construction in the Kimberley. Got it at a government auction. The cut toolboxes in rear guards, drop down table on the door and big tool box on the bonnet were all as purchased.

Lang
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 05:53:33 PM by Lang »

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 08:29:33 AM »
Great photos Lang.

The Series 2 looks perfect for NW WA. I reckon you would have had a bit of competition at the auction for it.

I agree with you, definitely not a military one, the mods though are terrific, I’ve never seen a table on the outside of the door before!

Good luck with your search, they are out there.

Offline Lang

• THANKS 0
    • Next Horizon
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 10:10:00 AM »
I was only 17 with no money so Bank of Dad helped out. As you say it got a pretty good price. The jobs and pay were obscene in WA at that stage and it only took me 3 months on the oil exploration to pay him back.  I drove it back to Melbourne, photo above, from Fitzroy Crossing by myself (my mate was accepted for the Army Officers School at Portsea and they only gave him 6 weeks notice so he flew out of Derby). The road through Wave Hill to Newcastle Waters was just a two wheel track across the plains. The last 1,000km was a trial with a slipping clutch so bad it would not hold on a slight rise in top gear. Think I got what I paid for it bad clutch and all.

Just remember. The day after I bought it with zero brakes I booked into a workshop to have them repaired intending to drive carefully across Melbourne on the hand brake. Got to the top of the hill, I think Canterbury, and pulled on the handbrake at the lights. "Bang" broken axle! Slowly rolling through the red light we picked up speed heading for the next set at the bottom of the hill, a very busy "T" junction. By this time it seemed we were doing the speed of light as I juggled through the continuous line of flowing traffic across our path. Straight across into the entrance to the Railway Station where about 30 metres of neatly trimmed hedge gently arrested our progress. Tow truck arrived and we continued our journey to the workshop. Despite the station-master walking in circles tearing at his hair I never did hear from Victorian Railways about their gardening difficulties.

Looks like the search may have borne fruit. Driving down from Brisbane to look at a member's vehicle in near west NSW next week and there is another, possibly two, in Sydney later in the week if the first does not pan out.

It seems worth joining a type specific group as well as the usual Gumtree/Marketplace searches.

Lang
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 10:29:42 AM by Lang »

Offline mike_k

• THANKS 54
  • REMLR No: 20
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 06:16:36 PM »
Not many people can say that they have done extreme off roading in Canterbury Lang!

Good luck with the search, keep us posted.👍

Offline Lang

• THANKS 0
    • Next Horizon
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 05:20:53 PM »
We have a winner. Driving down to Mudgee to pick up the new toy next week. Photos will follow.  Lang