Author Topic: Just "Won" a 6x6 Ambo ( Non- operational ) guys i going to need some help!  (Read 9741 times)

Offline Mightymarty

• THANKS 0
Well, I've just won a 6x6 ambo FFR (non-operational). It's last deployment was Timor. Then a complete rebuild (upgrade) by bae systems in 2008.

It's minus a cockpit! no floor pan /seats / door skins & seals...any ideas,

info or help will be appreicated in this ongoing project.

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
Welcome to the forum bit of a jig saw puzzle there but you should be able to get all or most of what is missing. Are you going to try and keep it original or convert it to a camper?
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Mightymarty

• THANKS 0
Gi'day, Thanks.... It looks like an electrical Puzzle too! Original, i think.  Heard it's possible to swap modules (Ambo>Flat bed).

Do you know if the 6x6 Seat base / transmission tunnel and floor panels are the same as the GS 110's.?

have a good Easter.

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
Seats are all the same, but not the Ta Tunnel
1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images © 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
Actually it is the other way around.

The transmission tunnel is the same on the 4x4 as 6x6, as are the seats.  However the seat box is of course wider to fit hte wider 6x6, as are the floor panels.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
Actually it is the other way around.

The transmission tunnel is the same on the 4x4 as 6x6, as are the seats.  However the seat box is of course wider to fit hte wider 6x6, as are the floor panels.

Seats are the same.

Box is longer yes, but not the same as 4x4
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
Quite, the 4x4 and 6x6 seat box is different

the 4x4 and 6x6 transmission tunnel however is the same.
REMLR Webmaster
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
G'day Marty, and welcome to the forum.

I had a good look at this vehicle too, and what caught my interest were the Lovell's front springs. Initially, I thought that the springs may have been fitted by Grays/AFM, due to the fact that Lovell's are at the far end of Airds Rd at Minto from Grays/AFM, but examination of the springs show that they have had some prior use and wear and were sourced by the Army.

Had a good look over the springs but could not see any numbers on the springs (I was interested in Lovell's P/N for rate and height). Measurements show they are the same height and wire size as stock, but much newer and bling than stock!

And yes, the rear bodies are interchangeable as there is only one type of chassis, so you can remove the Ambo module to fit a flat tray. Another curiosity on this vehicle was the presence of 4 massive eye bolts on the left front of the body, above the FFR battery box. I have never seen these on other Ambos, or indeed any other 6x6.

Offline Minikeg

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 77
  • REMLR No: 316
I worked for Lovells 2010-2011 with their (short) venture into trains

They manufacture in Newcastle and the Minto warehouse is just for keeping stock. Give them a call, they will be all too happy to help with information
I'm not completely useless.. I'm missing some of the pieces
110-415 'Agro' 1959 88" CR              111-676 'Pickles II' 1959 88" CR
114-270 'Maya' 1967 109" GS/WS      113-368 'Castrol' 1964 88" GS
48-975 'Reptar' 1988 110" FFR           48-932 'Widget' 1988 110" GS

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
Yes, Lovells make the springs, no they won't sell them.  Like any other supplier they are bound by contract, the best way to get some if you need them is to get prices from your local dealer who should have access to all of the parts you could ever need for these!  As we discussed before, we need to be careful with regards to approaching these suppliers as they would be in breech of a Defence contract to supply them outside of that contract.  Unfortunately many parts may cost more than you want them to when buying them form land rover and that is due to a range of factors relating to how defence wants parts to be avaialble in numbers and so on. 

At the end of the day we need to be thankful that the parts are available at all!

With regards to the eye bolts, the photo of them in their current location is the storage and transit location. Their use once removed is to screw into the threaded locations at each corner of the module in order that it can be removed from the chassis.  Always a simple explanation :)
REMLR Webmaster
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
I will not say who but I spoke to a manufacture of some very special perentie parts and there's no restrictions on them selling to trade.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
I would be somewhat surprised if that is the case, but then I am not privy to what the contracts say.

Mind you we have had suppliers come on here before and say that only to find out from higher up the chain that they were wrong and they could not sell to other parties.
REMLR Webmaster
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
Yes, Lovells make the springs, no they won't sell them. As we discussed before, we need to be careful with regards to approaching these suppliers as they would be in breech of a Defence contract to supply them outside of that contract.
I think you've misunderstood my post. I was not suggesting that Lovell's are the original manufacturers, but commenting on the fact that some Lovell's aftermarket springs had found their way onto an in-service vehicle. These Lovell's springs are the first I have seen fitted to a Perentie, and they are not the regular stock black LR springs. I would think they have been sourced as a local purchase by a unit, rather than supplied through the official parts acquisition chain. Lovell's may well be the JRA/LRA spring supplier for Australian content (dunno, are they?), but these springs in bright blue are Lovell's retail product, not OEM.

Lovells have many alternative listings on their site for OneTen "County" Land Rovers which would be suitable for various applications on a 4x4 Perentie, but they do not list a 6x6. I was curious if these springs are in fact the HD front option for a LWB Isuzu County (RFR-13HD), or another spring altogether. As I noted above, they sit at the same height as stock 6x6 coils, but the 6x6 front end is heavier than a 4x4, so a raised spring for a 4x4 application would not sit at the same height on a 6x6, and may end up being close to stock height.

I last dealt with Lovell's for custom springs when their factory was next to Arnott's at Nth Strathfield, and they were more than happy to make coil or leaf springs to a customer's requirements different to their standard product line, and deal direct with the customer. Nowadays, they don't sell direct to the public, but one of their distributors are in the same industrial complex. You visit the warehouse to discuss your requirements, go next door to pay, then go back and pick up your springs. They are one of the more customer focussed businesses I have ever dealt with. If you wanted something made to order through Newcastle, I'm sure they would still be very approachable to your needs.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
Nice to hear of businesses that want to help customers, that is something that is far too rare these days!

And yes, they are ;)
REMLR Webmaster
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline stephendavis

• THANKS 44
I will not say who but I spoke to a manufacture of some very special perentie parts and there's no restrictions on them selling to trade.
I don't think it is up to us to police it. the vehicles are not being repaired and the contract is near to the end. they now have the Gwagon, we are pulling parts of others to keep them going, I don't think the army is buying any more canvas tops. put a defect on a canvas top and the hole vehicle is gone. the company mite have stock left in the shop that the army does not want, I would like to ask if the company that make the canvas 110's if they can do one for my 2A.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:23:32 AM by Phoenix »