Author Topic: RFSV 50-406  (Read 3845 times)

Offline brendansags

• THANKS 0
RFSV 50-406
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:22:45 PM »
Hey all

After a couple of years procrastinating and failing to win at grays auctions i have finally purchased an RFSV :)

i have bought RFSV 50-406, and i was wondering apart from the info on the register which lists "Found 2014 in the Vehicle Technology Wing(VTW) of The Army Logistic Training Centre (ALTC). Brown Bitza" ( i dont know what brown bitza means, landy looks imacculate and complete), if any one has any more history of this land rover that i wouldn't find in the service books.

Im looking forward to picking her up and driving her down to Melbourne, from what i have read im in for a noisy journey

Cheers
Brendan

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
Re: RFSV 50-406
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:44:31 PM »
Well done Brendan - I watched the auction with interest. I have 50-413 which has also remained unloved/unused/unwanted for much of its existence.

Hope you'll be as happy with yours as I am with mine - the noise problem stems from those high-miler tyres (which I plan to replace on mine very shortly).

A serviceable and useful tyre which is too noisy  :)

THere is an outfit at Sth Windsor (KLR) who will pick it up from AFM, service it you want, and generally get it ready for you to drive home if that helps.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:47:32 PM by dugite »
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »
Hey Brendan,

Are you saying you have the brown Land Rover front Vehicle Training Wing ALTC ? That vehicle has quite a unique history.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline brendansags

• THANKS 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 03:17:45 PM »
Hey Brendan,

Are you saying you have the brown Land Rover front Vehicle Training Wing ALTC ? That vehicle has quite a unique history.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick if you could enlighten my about this that would be great, i dont know what you mean by brown land rover, but it seams to be the one unless the register on this site is wrong

this is a picture of it from the acution website
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:31:53 PM by brendansags »

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »
Hi Brendan,

It may not be the same LR .  There was a vehicle at Vehicle Training Wing ALTC used as a training aid. This vehicle was a chocolate brown, had a tray back and looked like a farm vehicle.

The story was the vehicle was taken by a soldier who worked in the vehicle pool at 51 Suppy Battalion. His digger took the vehicle home to his father who then used it on the farm.  Later there was a army exercise around the farms location , a neighbour , talking to a officer on the exercise asked if there was any chance that he could have a Rover and explained the story about the LR his neighbour got from his son in the army. The officer explained "it doesn't quite work that way" and investigated.

The vehicle was retrieved by the army , the soldier was charged , and the ended up at ALTC as a training aid for the trainee spanners.  Going by your photo , I don't think it's the same car??? 

Something to investigate I suppose 😊👍

Offline brendansags

• THANKS 0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »
Wow what a great story. Going by the photos at the auction i think the registry might be incorrect ahahah, or its the most amazing transformation from the brown landy you mentioned

Offline brendansags

• THANKS 0
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:47:05 PM »
After a long drive i finally got her back to Melbourne, and i couldn't be happier.
found out she belonged to the 3rd/9th LH SAMR since 06. would love to get more info or photos of her in action.
Now just have to go threw the fun part of RWC and club reg

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
Hi Brendan,

What club are you running with the VMVC or Land Rover club?

Cheers,

Mick

Offline brendansags

• THANKS 0
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »
Hey mick

Im just going to go with my local car club i think its lilydale and district as im already a member with my xb. But if i have issues i will be looking at any other options.

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »

Fair call, the VMVC is pretty good if you want her mixing with other ex service vehicles so they can spin war stories to each other 😊👍

Offline brendansags

• THANKS 0
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 10:39:19 AM »
All good news, the landy passed roadworthy without needing any work (mechanic commented it was like new). After a quick trip to vicroads she is all registered and now on the road  :)