Author Topic: Trays  (Read 3545 times)

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
  • REMLR No: 471
Trays
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »
Quick question.
Are the GS trays and associated seats, hoops etc interchangeable between 4x4 and 6x6 models?

Offline Bluebell One-eight

• THANKS 34
Re: Trays
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
In theory the trays are the same, BUT there are differences which depend more on when the truck was produced than the type of truck. I would guess you're wanting to know if hurdles and bows will interchange and the answer is yes. I don't know of any differences in those items. The trays themselves are a different matter. The earlier MK3s had a 3 point mounting system to allow the chassis to flex, later trucks had a more conventional U bolt type hold down system. It is critical that the body allows the chassis to flex when traveling across uneven ground, otherwise the chassis flex will be concentrated into a short length of the rail and it will crack. The 6X6 is a little more forgiving than 4X4. The tie down rings / rails varied over the years too, as did the use of pigtails on the side boards. The personel steps on the tail board changed about 1971 as well.

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
  • REMLR No: 471
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »
Thank you.
Great info.
I've possibly got onto some 6x6 troops seats and canopy hoops and was wondering if they would fit my 4x4 tray. I've already tracked down a tailgate and drop sides.
Still missing the stanchions though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:49:32 PM by 2short »

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:12:49 PM »
In theory the trays are the same, BUT there are differences which depend more on when the truck was produced than the type of truck. I would guess you're wanting to know if hurdles and bows will interchange and the answer is yes. I don't know of any differences in those items. The trays themselves are a different matter. The earlier MK3s had a 3 point mounting system to allow the chassis to flex, later trucks had a more conventional U bolt type hold down system. It is critical that the body allows the chassis to flex when traveling across uneven ground, otherwise the chassis flex will be concentrated into a short length of the rail and it will crack. The 6X6 is a little more forgiving than 4X4. The tie down rings / rails varied over the years too, as did the use of pigtails on the side boards. The personel steps on the tail board changed about 1971 as well.
Can you explain this information?

My Mk3 (4x4-566) tray had a 3 point mounting system, which I assumed (with reasonable evidence) was retrofitted by the RFS to gimble the tray and protect the tank from flexing and fracturing the base.

Are you suggesting this may have been standard?
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »
Nothing to do with the army.Tanks are very rigid and are notorious for breaking truck chassis.The original Inter tray is quite flimsy as trays go,and no way would it cause problems.I dont recall the Mk3s having anything but u bolts.Any truck tray will flex with the chassis.The tray must never have any diagonal bracing,which is what makes a flat frame rigid.Regards John.

Offline accomotorhome

• THANKS 0
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 12:46:44 PM »
Diana, could I please get some more photos and some measurements of the 3 point mounting system? I want to do one on my mk4