Author Topic: 180-971 F1 Crane Truck  (Read 138612 times)

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
Re: 180-971 F1 Crane Truck
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »
Your right with the extra current draw but you also need the correct can
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
Thanks for that.

After the weekend, I have the handbrake rods all reconnected and adjusted correctly, new sparkplugs and leads fitted and the temporary boat fuel tank all strapped down and plumbed in.

Many of the clevis pins on the handbrake linkages and the transfer case connecting rods were very badly rusted and worn. I tried finding replacements online and got nowhere.
I no longer have access to a lathe, or I would have just turned up new ones. There is a good chance that one of the guys at work is buying a lathe, so I might get a chance to have a play sometime in the near future. Until then, I bought a heap of high tensile bolts that I can modify.
The smooth section of the shank is the exact length to go through the clevis forks, with the thread starting just after it pokes through. I ran a nut down the threads, lopped off the excess with the grinder and cleaned the thread up. I used good quality locknuts when I refitted them and adjusted them all up to have just enough slack that the clevis can still pivot, but not enough to let if flop around. Should do for now.

The next drama was the distributor cap. I pulled the old leads off and they were really badly corroded. The lead from the coil to the cap was so bad that I couldn't get it out at all. I soaked it in electroclean overnight and eventually managed to pull the lead out, but the metal end stayed stuck inside. I had to use a thin screwdriver to pry the metal away from the inside of the socket. With that out, I found that the aluminium sockets were really pitted inside, with sections missing on many of them.

In the RPS, it states that the cap for the older MK3 & 4 is a Bosch GB75. The RPS for the F1/F2 shows that the early type distributor uses a GB75, but the newer type uses a GB634. I checked the number on the top of my cap and it shows 9 231 065 504, which I found listed on a UK seller's site as matching the GB634 cap. I then spent ages running all over Devonport chasing this cap. Not a single shop had a listing for it. I even worked out that this cap was also fitted to a whole range of Mercedes cars, but that didn't help either. Nobody had a distributor cap listed for them.
Eventually, once I got home, I started ringing around Launceston. Second place I hit, the girl was able to look up the 9 231 065 504 number and searched back to find that it was a replacement/alternative to the earlier GB75 cap! Which I have, brand new, sitting spare on the MK3. I should have realised when I saw the points set was the same between the old and new distributors, but I expected something with the distributor body must have changed and required a different cap, otherwise why list 2 different part numbers from the old to the new model? Frustrating system.

I also drilled the diff drain bung to fit the rare earth magnet. Just need to glue it in and screw the bung back in. Then I can refill the diff, refit a couple of wheels and start it up to drive around the paddock. I'll reposition it nearer the fence on flatter ground so I can jack up the tray and drive out from under it. Then the real degreasing and cleaning can start.

Greg.

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »
Great work Ravin,

I'm really enjoying the story.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 99
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Well done cobber!

If you need a hand with the clevis pin manufacture, give me a call,

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
Thanks all.

Late yesterday I sent an email off to Bosch Australia and they got back to me just now.
There is no record on their system of the GB634 distributor caps.
According to their records, the distributor on my F1, which matches the part number 9 230 061 653 from the RPS for the New Style distributor, should indeed take the 9 231 065 504 cap, which it had on it.
The interesting thing is that the number links back to their GB75 cap, which is what was on the Early Type distributor on the MK3 & 4.
See the pic below with some extra details relating to the Army landrovers and Series 3's. The funny part number for the Land Rover (Army) distributor cap is because it was shielded. He said they are no longer available though.

Interestingly, the GB75 cap that I bought for the MK3 has the same 9 231 065 504 number molded into the top, so I'll just use that.
I'll give all the lead ends and rubber caps a good smear of dielectric grease when I refit them all to help keep out corrosion.

I'll pick up a spare GB75 cap if I see one, just to be safe. They seem to be getting scarce.

Greg.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:16:01 AM by Ravvin »

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »

Greg if you need new points or a new rotor cap I can help you - just let me know.

Frank

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2017, 01:53:04 PM »
Thanks for the offer. I checked the points and they are really good. I suspect they had been changed not long before I got it. I used the GB75 cap, leads and the plugs from the other truck as they were brand new.

Well, some progress.
Today I reconnected some wiring under the dash and fitted a huge battery I rescued from a burnt out 30t excavator at work. It is a sealed type and almost new. I had it on charge/test on my charger all week and it tested as good as a new one on the carbon pile tester. Way bigger than the piddly little car one that was in the truck before.
I pumped some fuel through from the boat tank, until it showed in the glass float bowl, held the choke lever down with a finger and hit the starter. It fired and ran in under 2 seconds, way faster than it used to. I suspect the really worn plugs and corroded lead connections were causing problems.
While cold, I could hear that it needs the tappets adjusted. One in particular was very noisy. Another job to add to the list, but one I was expecting. The oil pressure gauge showed good pressure, but the fuel gauge was off the scale. I suspect that the wire has a rub-through somewhere underneath. When I switch it to the rear tank it dropped to empty, which is what the front should do.
I only needed to hold the choke on for about 15 seconds before it was idling happily. The Temp gauge didn't move off the Cold peg, but I had suspected it was dodgy as they have fitted an aftermarket temp gauge to the front panel next to the air cleaner monitor and the sender unit to a bolt on the head. It worked. I never thought to check while I was out there, but if I had of pulled the yellow wire off the original sender unit and shorted it to earth, I would have been able to check if it was a faulty sender or the wiring to the gauge on the dash. Next time.
The Amp meter happily trembled away. It didn't really change much, even when the revs were up high, but the battery was straight off the charger, so it probably wouldn't have wanted any amps off an old 1970's alternator. I know the MK3, with the generator, showed 20 to 30 amps when the engine was revved, but that was with a different battery that hadn't just been charged, and had used a fair bit of power getting the truck to start.
The tacho moved smoothly and the air pressure gauge moved up to 200kPa and sat there, which was odd. If I increased the revs, the pressure slowly crept up, but dropped back down to 200 if I took my foot off.
I moved around a bit and realised I could hear hissing. The little air valve on the hi/low range transfer case lever was leaking badly. Air was blowing up from under the lever. I recall pulling it apart and putting new o'rings in it, but maybe I put it back together wrong. If I lifted the lever, the leak stopped, so I grabbed some electrical tape and locked it back.
I could still hear hissing. This time it was the winch engage/disengage valve behind the seat. I shut everything down and pulled the valve out. I remember when I put it back together that I couldn't remember which way around the red plastic disk went, but that I had a 50/50 chance on getting it right. Guess I picked wrong.
There were 2 types of valves used for the winch engage/disengage system. The early type was a piston type and the newer type, which I have, is a rotary type. The air comes in the bottom and, depending on whether the handle is up or down, sends the air out to either the line that shoots the winch engagement piston out or the line that makes the piston suck in. The red plastic disk inside has a series of holes and slots that direct the air around. There is an outlet on the top of the valve that has a bung with a hole in it to let the air out of the winch engagement piston when you flip the lever. Mine was dumping high pressure air out here. I pulled the valve apart and rotated the plastic disk 180° and put it back together. It's pretty worn, and after refitting it I found it still leaks a bit, but it's way better than it was. I'll have to search around and see if there are any rebuild kits available. At the worst, I will have to swap it out for the piston type one from the MK3, as it uses o'rings and is easier to rebuild. Both types were PBR units. The rotary type was a PA625. The rebuild kit was CA62-14. The NSN is 2590-66-011-3037.
Even with these 2 leaks mostly sorted, the pressure gauge wasn't going up. Plan B.
I ran the hose out from my compressor and hooked it up to the truck's air system. I previously fitted an air tool nipple to the diff wading inflator valve under the dash. I just plugged the air hose onto this, opened the valve and pressurised the truck system to 60psi. With the truck turned off and the compressor way down in the old outside dunny, I could clearly hear a hissing under the truck. It sounded like it was coming from the back of the transfer case or maybe the winch air actuator.
Once I got under there, I found both of those were fine. It turned out to be coming from one of the steel lines that run to the tractor protection valve down the back. I felt around and found both pipes were leaking. This was an area where there was a lot of dirt sitting in the chassis rail. I can't get at it from underneath to clean it properly, so will wait until I lift the deck off. With that off I can pressure wash the whole length of the chassis rail and get at the pipes a lot easier. It looks as though either the bolt or clip that secure these pipes up to the wall of the rail has broken, letting them drop down into the dirt and rubbish and rub on the bottom of the chassis rail. Luckily, I still have 3 lengths of new steel pipe that I can use to replace the rusted air lines.

It was good to have it running again, and I am that little bit closer to having it driveable again.

Greg.

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 99
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2017, 08:21:33 AM »
Congratulations Greg! Another milestone passed  :D
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2017, 04:46:02 PM »
Great work Greg - always enjoy the post - PM sent re glass too.

Cheers

Frank

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »
Drivable is such a line in the sand.

You can put up with a lot of stuff once you get it going.

Did you get the cable unstuck from the drum? Had a thought, ::) you may be able to use the crane to pull  the cable off the drum?

Good luck with it.

Phil

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
Yes, I'm happy to drive it around the back paddock as it is. I can use the handbrake to pull it up as the ground is fairly flat, with just a slight slope from the back to the front.
Once I can move it, I will back it down along the fence line and jack up the tray and drive out. With the tray off, I have really good access to clean things and replace the air and brake lines.
I have to rebuild the hydraulic control unit before trying to engage the crane pump as it shows signs of heavy leaking. The whole back wall of the cab on the passenger's side is coated in oil, which has protected the paint.
The chassis rail has a large wad of old sheet bundled up on it, to soak up the leaking oil. It is saturated. The oil ran forward along the rail and coated the entire front spring and axle on that side of the truck. There are no signs of any leaks from the rams or connecting pipes, and only a few damp patches on the stabiliser legs. I've looked at a few exploded drawings of the control valve units and they seem to mostly rely on o'rings, so that should be pretty easy to rebuild.
I originally planned on making a tripod up to stand over the tray to pull the winch cable out, then realised, like you suggested, that the crane would do it a lot easier. I can also use it if I need to pull the winch out, if it ends up having internal damage, like I suspect it will. I could also use it to lower the transfer case out to clean up and replace the seals. It would be far easier than the setup I used when I did the MK3 transfer case and winch.
The biggest advantage to being able to move it will be being able to park it somewhere flat. At the moment it is sitting tilted over to the driver's side, partly because I didn't notice the slight slope when I parked and partly because the ground is a very coarse sandy loam, and the tires tend to sink over time.
Once I can drive it around, I half expect the damn water pump to start leaking. When I got it, the radiator cap had a rust hole in the centre, so it wasn't pressurising at all. Now I have replaced it, so we'll just have to see how it handles the pressure. I also noticed a bit of oil on the bottom fins of the oil cooler. Not sure where it came from. The MK4/F1 front end makes it a lot harder to get at everything than the more open MK3 type does.

If anyone notices this thread or the one for my MK3 and a few others that I have commented on in the past popping up showing as Unread, please ignore them. Photobucket are being nasty to a lot of the people using it to host photos that they then link in threads like these. They are forcing people to upgrade to a $399USD/year subscription plan to be able to continue linking and lock your pics so you can't download them. I'm lucky that they haven't gotten to mine yet, so I downloaded them last night and I am in the process of moving them to a paid SmugMug account. This means I have to update the pic links in all my posts. Takes a while and makes them all show as Unread.
Can't be helped. Either I do this or all my posts have nasty pics saying my Photobucket account is locked.

Greg.

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 99
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
... They are forcing people to upgrade to a $399USD/year subscription plan to be able to continue linking and lock your pics so you can't download them. ...Either I do this or all my posts have nasty pics saying my Photobucket account is locked.

Greg.

The same thing is happening on a metal shaping forum I visit; however; the admin there have posted how to upload and store pics on the forum itself, so that they can't be deleted by a third-party.

Is this possible to do on this forum?

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
Not wanting to Hi-jack your thread as it is great even though I do not own an Inter, I have the same issue with images and a $500.00Au ransome, I have deleted all my albums (some 5,000 images) from their site and told them to close the acc I had with them, they were very quick shooting out the blockage but very non responsive with communication, I have transferred some images of my Locomotive build but that's all, anyway I'm looking forward to be able to read n see images within this thread, keep up the good work cheers Dennis :)

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2017, 09:10:08 AM »
[Yes use the attachments button at the bottom of
Your reply
 quote author=Chazza link=topic=4370.msg50526#msg50526 date=1499293228]
... They are forcing people to upgrade to a $399USD/year subscription plan to be able to continue linking and lock your pics so you can't download them. ...Either I do this or all my posts have nasty pics saying my Photobucket account is locked.

Greg.

The same thing is happening on a metal shaping forum I visit; however; the admin there have posted how to upload and store pics on the forum itself, so that they can't be deleted by a third-party.

Is this possible to do on this forum?

Cheers Charlie
[/quote]
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »
Pretty sure you can only attach 3 pics per post if you upload them to the forum.
The main reason is if there is a lot of activity, the site can quickly run out of storage space.
Not sure if that is the case with our forum. Would have to ask Phoenix.

Greg.