Author Topic: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?  (Read 95290 times)

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
  • REMLR No: 339
Re: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »
Inside the rear cargo area.

Drivers side fuel tank when it was about to be lifted into place.

Cabin carpeted and almost complete.

The vehicle was fired for the first time just a couple of days after these pictures were taken and it was immediately put back onto the road for testing.

Only a couple of small problems arose during the first couple of test drives, and these were quickly overcome and to date the vehicle hasn't given any real problems.

I think the biggest heart in mouth problem was in oil spraying out of the dip stick, and I quickly diagnosed that as being relative to the sealed oil filler cap. A quick trip to an auto parts outlet for a vented oil filler cap and the problem was solved.

To remedy the wheelspin issues in 1st and 2nd gear, I fitted a Detroit Locker, and after that it started snapping drive flange bolts. No easy fix for this, so re-engineered it to take M12 cap heads. Problem solved.

I've still not tuned the vehicle since it was fired for the first time. Laziness is most of the reason. I simply burned myself out during the rebuild and cannot find the motivation to spend much (if any) time on it now.

I reckon it needs one more week solid work to get it all finished, tuned etc, and that may happen in the next couple of months if I somehow find the motivation.

So far it's done about 18 months on the road and it's not given any real issues from those first couple of niggles. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
Battery isolator switch.

Digital controller for the electric water pump and thermo fan.

Collision switch for the electric fuel pump.

The red box is the head unit for the water/methanol injection system. To date I've been too lazy to finish installing the jet and a couple of wires needed to get that going again.

Charcoal cannister was added beneath the vehicle and the electric fuel pump sits near that on a rubber mount.

To give you an idea of just how disinterested I am lately, I have a brand new center console which has a nice blue lid etc, and probably wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to install, but it's just not happening for me lately.

I really do need to pull my socks up and have another go.

Offline Polizei

• THANKS 9
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »
Well you're not too lazy to post your progress!

Very interesting to see your ideas...keep going!!!

Offline bronzie66610

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 20
  • REMLR No: 373
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 08:48:50 AM »
Hello NAVIGATION
Top job.
To the purist like me and many others originality for the period is paramount. BUT it is up to the individual for the little to big mods.
I needed a tailgate for 112-951, that how it was in SVN, so I had a civilian one and MOD'd the licence plate area to remove the pieces I did not require. Now a civvy tub, but will keep original as it was heavily moded by civvy or military ?(does not fit with SVN period) . That now puts me into the category of modification.
Still like your mod.

1 Series 2a (Civ)
1966 S2A GS ARN 113-990
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-951
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-915

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 99
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »
The bit in the top hose is an inline filter. There are arguments for and against.

Tell me what the "against" arguments are?

I have used one in my Disco for years and provided that they are checked regularly, they are only a good thing in my experience. My engine was a clean as a whistle inside the cooling system but the strainer still collects odd bits of rubbish, and it makes it much easier to fill the cooling system first time, unlike the standard system,

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
Well you're not too lazy to post your progress!

Very interesting to see your ideas...keep going!!!

Hi Polizei,

If only building cars was as easy as hitting a few keys on a keyboard, if it were, I'm sure we'd all have some really great individual vehicles under us.

I've got a few hundred pictures of various stages of the rebuild, so will post some of those as I get time.

Offline pop058

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 21
  • REMLR No: 256
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
The bit in the top hose is an inline filter. There are arguments for and against.

Tell me what the "against" arguments are?

I have used one in my Disco for years and provided that they are checked regularly, they are only a good thing in my experience. My engine was a clean as a whistle inside the cooling system but the strainer still collects odd bits of rubbish, and it makes it much easier to fill the cooling system first time, unlike the standard system,

Cheers Charlie

I cannot honestly answer your question as I am on your side. I have one in my 97 D1 4.6A as well. The only "against" I have heard is that "they are a waste of money because you cooling system should be clean anyway".
some 2A & S3 workshops and trailers
2A GS

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
Ok, the TEFBA filter seems to be attracting some attention, so I'll do my best to explain why I adopted it.

We rebuilt the engine "on the ground", and given that we were as careful as possible, and as clean as possible, there was still a niggling worry of flotsam being present.

**I never had the radiator professionally cleaned prior to its re-use as I wanted to see if I was going to have to get a different core etc as I'm running a bit of an unknown engine combination, so spending money on radiator reco's etc at that point seemed folly. As it turns out, the radiator is fine for my needs and is more than sufficient.

I had initially installed a reverse flush system as well, and we did use that on 2-3 occasions to completely rinse out the cooling/heating system with fresh water prior to actually firing up and running the engine. In so doing, we discovered a few large pieces of black silicon (no black silicon was used throughout the rebuild), the odd shard of gasket material, and a couple of small flakes of rust. More puzzling still was the discovery of a rather large piece of hard wood, which appeared to have impressions of metal casting stamped into it. No clue where that came from or why it was there.

After firing the engine to run in the camshaft etc, it was noted that the coarse screen TEFBA filter was catching still more debris, again black silicon/gasket material and 2 or 3 threads of cotton, these were almost probably from the rags we used to clean everything during the rebuild.

I reasoned that most of this debris was perhaps imprisoned within the radiator core, and when cold flushed, the bits were also cold and remained too hard to pass through the tubes, but upon being subjected to the heated water via running the engine, they probably became pliant/softened enough to pass through the tubes and were then passed on through to the TEFBA filter.

**Sediments are another worry, and as I just explained, when cold flushing a cooling system, often the sediments remain in the bottom tank and other areas and do not become mobile until heated. Hot flushing an engine is not a skill I'm familiar with. :-[

**The TEFBA has a little sump thing on which the filter screen sits, and while some people think the little sump thing is there to catch the debris which falls off the screen when the engine is not running, I reason it's there to allow the periodical removal of sediment which has hit the screen and thus has accumulated below it.

I ran the coarse screen for a few weeks until it stopped catching large debris and then went to the fine mesh screen and repeated the process over again. Probably 2 or 3 more cleans and the fine mesh stopped catching stuff, but every now and then the odd little bit is found. Nothing to worry about I reckon.

I do periodically lift out the little sump thing and rinse off any sediment I find.

**Given that I run an electric water pump (Davies Craig), I have my cooling/heating system cycling more than it would if it was standard, even after I shut the engine down, the digital controller continues its safety thing and keeps cycling the coolant at intervals until the sensor accepts that it's done its job of safeguarding against hotspots etc. As such, I think this moderate and continual cycling of the coolant allows the TEFBA filter to be more effective as it would in a regular cooling system.

There are "socks" that can be fitted to the top radiator hose which may also work ok, but I've not tried one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:26:51 PM by navigation »

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »
The talk about the TEFBA prompted me to have a look today and see what was going on with it, as I've said before, I've not been working on the vehicle for quite some time so it's been a few months since I last checked it.

The fine mesh screen was about 1.2 blocked with small particles of what appears to be the black silicon, and the little sump thing had 1x piece of rust scale sitting in the bottom of it.

There was evidence of a very fine slurry in the bottom of the sump too, which I washed off by just running it under the tap.

The flecks of black silicon came off easily just by rubbing them with my fingers under the tap.

I really wouldn't mind trying one of those "socks" to see if I can catch the really fine slurry particles. Might look at obtaining one of those at some point.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »
Due to the installation of the 20x circuit wiring loom, I saw no reason not to upgrade the headlights as well. The standard headlights really were poor... ::)

First thing I did was get a custom heavy duty loom made up with ceramic plugs etc, then added Crystal headlights and decent globes.

The new headlights are so good that I rarely ever use high beam, nor do I ever seem to use the spotlights for that matter.

The headlight upgrade was well worth it.

LED tail light globes were also installed, and I'm still looking at LED indicators etc, but all that can wait for the time being.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »
The extractors were constantly giving me grief prior to the rebuild by blowing out the gasket and nothing I did to resolve the problem gave any sort of lasting remedy, so during the rebuild I attacked them with the draw files and hand faced them, along with the intake manifold. They've not given me any worries since. Just wish I'd done that when I first got them.

When they were first installed, I opted to have a flange fitted to them in order to make any future removals less of a chore.

I also covered the extractors with heat wrap.

The intake manifold is a Redline Roadmaster, with a custom water tank welded to the base to preheat the plenum.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »
Mocking up the Bathurst XU1 spec cylinder head.

I did the draw file job on the intake and exhaust manifolds at this point and repeatedly checked my progress against the new head.

Those red roller rockers got the boot after I discovered them to be the incorrect ratio for my engine.

They were sold as being suitable for a 202, but during the mock up I noticed the roller tip was already over the 1/2 way point of the valve stem, and no matter what I did, it always remained too far over the center of the valve stem for my liking.

Bye bye roller rockers, happy trails. I thought they might have been a good thing as I did get them for a good price, but so it goes...

I then sourced a set of Yella Terra roller rockers and during the mock they also presented problems. I picked one up and thought I saw a shiny silver flash, looked everywhere for whatever it was and just couldn't find it, so went back to what I was doing and while mucking around/joking, shook the rocker I had in my hand and needle rollers started flying out.

There was a small area of the bearing case which had a flaw, and this allowed the rollers to eject when the trunion reached a certain angle. I called Yella Terra and they suggested replacing all the bearings as there may have been a batch issue.

Bye bye Yella Terra roller rockers, happy trails...

One of these days I'll manage to score a set of roller rockers which do actually want to play the game.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »
I've always liked the look and practicality of the Safari/Tropical roof, so I set about looking for one.

My hardtop had already been painted and was in very good condition, so it was difficult to want to part with it.

I sourced an alleged tropical roof quite some distance from home and went to pick it up, only to discover it was just the tropical top attached to a standard hardtop, with no vents etc, so rather than waste the trip, I took it home with me regardless.

Then I got another tropical roof from over the other side of Melbourne which was complete, but had a couple/few dents in it.

I ended up using the parts from all 3x to make up one complete and straight tropical roof. I deleted the safari windows as part of the exercise as they just didn't "look" right, my vehicle being a 2x door.

After reconditioning all the vents etc, hand making the gaskets etc, we got to work and attached all the parts.

We then lined the inside with a carpet/roof lining type material.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:38:52 AM by navigation »

Offline navigation

• THANKS 15
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »
Due to being pestered incessantly for a more practical method of getting into the rear cargo area, I sourced a rear door and the plan is to get that reconditioned and fitted at some point.

I'd seen images of rear steps on the internet, and while they were cheap enough, I discovered them to be actually quite small. The pictures seemed to give an optical illusion.

We built one instead. Bigger and far more heavy duty.

Offline bronzie66610

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 20
  • REMLR No: 373
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
Hi navigation keep it coming, even though I am a purist I like your mods.
1 Series 2a (Civ)
1966 S2A GS ARN 113-990
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-951
1964 S2A GS ARN 112-915