Author Topic: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?  (Read 34466 times)

Offline navigation

• THANKS 12
  • REMLR No: 339
Re: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2019, 08:51:09 AM »
Gíday BEARMAN,

Iím inclined to agree with your assessment as per how the bolt broke.

If all the other bolts were tight then it would change the whole narrative, but because I discovered 2 other loose bolts 1/4 of the way around the crown wheel when having a quick scout, that kind of suggests Iíll find a couple or more loose ones when I get around to replacing them.

The sheer point was at the first thread, which is about 1/3 rd the length of the bolt, so it seems strange, at least to me.

I just tried to find the broken bolt to take a photo but I canít locate it at the moment, too much junk piled up around the workshop from the plethora of broken vehicles I work on.

Mine had Loctite on them, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the threadlock had failed on the 2 other loose ones I found, so Iím inclined to think that for whatever reason, thatís potentially the cause, along with the brutal life this diff leads in that itís equipped with a Detroit Locker.

I never reconditioned the diffs when I built the vehicle as they hadnít done much work, and I was told theyíd been recently rebuilt by the previous owner when he fitted the high speed gearing.

I suppose it was my own fault for not having checked them over way back then.

I was already aware of the punishment the drivetrain is copping as Iíd already had to resolve a similar problem at the drive flange bolts, where theyíd snap or come loose frequently. I resolved that by drilling and tapping those to take M12 cap heads, which has so far done the trick, but in so doing, Iíve only moved the problem to the next weakest point. I donít really know where that will potentially be, given that the universals etc are super tough, being the same as those used on the Ford GT 351 vehicles, or so I believe, but whatever, the problem will no doubt manifest somewhere else in time.

Now that the drive flanges are sorted and the crown wheel is on its way to being done, it only moves the weak point again, perhaps into the transfer box?

I met the bloke who designed and machined the parts for Marks Adaptors to suit the Nissan box, but he reckons the transfer box is built to a standard beyond what Iím subjecting it to so who knows where the next weak link will manifest.

Thatís why I donít run wider tyres nor wheel offsets.

Itís all a learning curve I suppose and trying to fathom things is half the battle.

Thatís why I sold the vehicle after building it, I was over the challenge and wanted to get away from it, having built too many vehicles over my lifetime.

Iím trying to get my mojo back but itís still tepid at this point.

Iíll have to pull my finger out and get this thing going again soon as itís starting to bug me...

Too much to do and scant time in which to do it.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 12
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2019, 04:52:50 AM »
Finally got the rear diff sorted.

The broken bolt was extracted by wedging a screwdriver into the crown wheel mating face and prying it apart enough to get a small pair of pointy nosed vice grips in and bingo, the broken bolt backed out relatively easy.

I just need to put oil in it, bleed the brakes, and check the oils in the front diff, gearbox, transfer box, and itíll be back on the road.

I fitted a new radiator to my other car yesterday also, and Iím pretty happy with that too, it went smoothly.

Thinking of driving the 109 up onto some steep ramps and washing the inside out because itís picked up a lot of dust in the last few years.

Iím over the spring/parabolic height nonsense.
Iíll have to get springs made for it. Wasted too much time with the spring issue. Had enough!

The 109 still needs a million things done to get it back to how it was envisioned to be but itís getting there slowly.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:57:26 AM by navigation »

Offline navigation

• THANKS 12
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2019, 09:46:40 PM »
Almost finished the basic chores necessary to get the 109 back on the road.

Need to pull all the wheels off and put new screws in the brake drums, then check the oil levels in the gearbox, transfer box and front diff. Then it should be pretty much ready to go.

I canít remember if the hubs on the front diff are separate to the diff itself, requiring their own oil, or if they get their oil supplied from the diff. I suppose Iíll find out somehow.

Might lift the front off the ground and suss out the steering and relay.

Today the 109 got a wash inside, not with a sponge though.

I removed the few items I had sitting in the back, then let fly with a truck wash I use on a fleet I maintain, then rinsed the daylights out of it.

A workmate freaked out when he arrived about an hour after I did it, to find water still running out the doors and tailgate.

If ya gonna wash a Land Rover, ya donít stroke around.

If ya canít flood them out then you havenít built them properly.

No harm came from it.

I was a bit surprised and how much dust came out. It wasnít nearly as much as I expected.

I might bring it back home on Sunday and start using it as my daily starting Monday.

Still need to figure out how to install some kind of air conditioning too.

Offline navigation

• THANKS 12
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2019, 11:20:42 AM »
The plan to drive the 109 has been placed on hold for the moment.

Iíve discovered an oil leak at the output shaft on the transfer box.

Iím unhappy with the amount of play in the output shaft too, so I feel compelled to look into it.

Iíve seem a Youtube tutorial which seemed to explain some of it, so further research is necessary.

I did test drive it to check out the diffs and transfer box and theyíre all working as theyíre supposed to.

Oil levels in the front diff and gearbox were where they should be, but the transfer box wanted 800ml, and that appears to be solely attributable to the output shaft issue.