Author Topic: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?  (Read 42357 times)

Offline navigation

• THANKS 14
  • REMLR No: 339
Re: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2020, 10:52:23 PM »
I forgot I copied this advertisement a ways back.

I thought it was well written, like automotive poetry...

This is a basic machine that separates the men from the boys - the Landrover 88 inch Series III. It doesnít handle. Itís drafty and unrefined. Itís as basic as there is, with a 0-60 mph sprint you can register on a sun dial. The powerplant is a crude motor that pumps out a mere 72 bhp via four cylinders. Emergency braking and in-town driving requires courage and steely determination. This is about as raw as it gets. On paper, the Land Rover Series III makes little sense. Yet, as an experience and automotive icon the spirit of adventure oozing from the panel gaps is second to none. Taking a Series III 88 inch on a short  jaunt leaves you feeling like Indiana Jones. Each gear change takes genuine consideration, as finding the sweet spot within the patchy synchromesh remains difficult at times. Attempting a fast corner is frankly terrifying. This particular 1973 example has been rebuilt from the ground up in a body off the frame rebuild with every component removed and detailed. Everything is largely original and the panels have more ripples than a windswept ocean. The all-drum brake system makes perfect sense. These beasts may not be the coolest things on the road, but they are awesome off of it. This example has twin fuel tanks. Wide wheels and tyres. Fairey overdrive. Free wheeling hubs. Later model Discovery seats. This vehicle has been a labor of passion as a social enterprise project of a Brisbane based men shed programme. Proceeds from the sale will assist in assuring the continued funding of the self funded community group.
4WD. Off Road. Jeep. Rover. Series 1. Series 2. British. Range Rover. Discovery. Four Wheel Drive.

FIREPOWER CUSTOMS & CLASSICS
Motor Dealer License: 4133797
http://firepowerclassics.com.au/

Firepower Customs & Classics Read less

Offline navigation

• THANKS 14
  • REMLR No: 339
Re: Is there a place here for modified ex army Land Rovers?
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2020, 07:07:53 PM »
Had the 109 re-engineered as it was time to transfer the rego into the Qld system, which was completed today.
Itís now registered as a 6x seater and everything else was transferred across without any hassle.
Pretty happy that it all passed with flying colours.

Touched base with a bloke about having the Weber carb rebuilt.
Touched base with Scorcher about having the distributor serviced.
Still looking at getting a new harmonic balancer.
Tossing around the idea of fitting a new mechanical high volume fuel pump, which will then be augmented by the electric fuel  pump.
Eyeing off a set of Crow Cams roller rockers.
Canít find my screw in studs and guide plates so might have to spring for a new set of those yet.

Going to remove the hatch and drop down tailgate soon, in favour of the barn door, simply because Iím too old and fat and Iím feeling too many aches and pains to want to climb in via the tailgate anymore.
I love the tailgate but the time has come.

Still a million things to do...