Author Topic: LRPV 180-899  (Read 5580 times)

Tommy

LRPV 180-899
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
Just a quick update on LRPV 180-899.

I've been able to spend some time over the Christmas break to attend to a few things.

Whilst 899 was on Cashmere Downs station, a number of parts were removed from the vehicle by the station owner. These parts would have been deemed 'unnecessary' for station use as it would appear that the owner wanted the tub to be free of any objects.

Early last year, I recovered two of the four helper springs and just before Christmas I recovered three other items. The radio box, main tub fuel tank and tub floor storage box. All in excellent condition.

I've also been researching the camouflage paint on the vehicle. I have found three original paint schemes under the dark green paint that was applied for civilian use. The first is the standard original olive drab. The next scheme was pre-AUSCAM (same as on 899 in the photo below) with the final being the late 1980s/early 1990s scheme seen on most LRPVs.

The 'cammed up' LRPV in the photo below is 180-899 displaying the original camouflage scheme.

This photo shows the first camouflage pattern and colours after the dark green/grey base coat has been removed. The OD verticle strip you see is from the PSP mat holder. The camouflage paint was applied without the removal of these bolt on mods.

Part of my research is to correctly identify the late camouflage colours and pattern as shown below. I found that the last camouflage paint scheme was removed very easily with paint stripper. It bubbled up an peeled off like sheets of plastic. The first camouflage paint was the total opposite. Hard as nails.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:54:41 PM by Tommy »

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
Re: LRPV 180-899
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:44 AM »
Nice work on the paint scheme, and retrieving the missing parts!
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 98
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »
Doesn't that cam-scheme work beautifully! Apart from the shade in the wheel arches and the the wheels, the thing has disappeared.

Great work recovering those parts Stuart!

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Tommy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »
Nice work on the paint scheme, and retrieving the missing parts!

Thanks Richard :)

I now have the correct colours (and paint) for the Mk3 LRPV. I have offered Cliffy the paint as he is looking at repainting his Mk3 in the near future. Can't wait to see the results.

There are more parts from 899 still on Cashmere Downs station. I have spoken to the new station owner and he will round them up for me. Next thing is to get them back to Perth.

Tommy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
Doesn't that cam-scheme work beautifully! Apart from the shade in the wheel arches and the the wheels, the thing has disappeared.

Great work recovering those parts Stuart!

Cheers Charlie

Funny one Charlie ;D

I eventually want to have some detailed 3 dimensional CAD illustrations done of the S2A LRPV. This will allow me to add and subtract modifications to the base vehicle to create individual LRPVs as they were in service. It will also allow me to apply the different colour schemes (and there are many :)). Meanwhile, you'll just have to put up with my basic Photoshop version ;).

Stuart
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:15:15 AM by Tommy »

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 98
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
Ha ha!

I meant the photo of the Rover against the hillside  :D

One day I must come up to Perth and drool over your collection again!

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Tommy

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »
Ha ha!

I meant the photo of the Rover against the hillside  :D

One day I must come up to Perth and drool over your collection again!

Cheers Charlie

LOL, I thought you were poking fun at my 'black and white' LRPV blending into the 'black and white' background ;D.

If you think the camouflage in the colour photo looks effective, check out these Mk1s (if you can find them  ;D)

BTW, all but one of my LRPVs are now in storage on a property south of Perth. The other one will hopefully join them soon. Looking at building a suitable shed to house all 5 + 2 GS.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:25:32 PM by Tommy »

Offline Cliffy

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 51
  • Forwarned, Forearmed.
  • REMLR No: 367
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
Yeah! I need that paint.
Want her ship shape for ANZAC Day!