Author Topic: Carzee's shed  (Read 33501 times)

Online Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 117
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Carzee's shed
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
Its been two weeks since the last update.

This week summer showed up. Its been 32, 33, 35 etc. Overnight heavy rain, 10 minute gales, then hot and humid, then the storm clouds come back etc.

Last Friday I could hear a March Out at Duntroon. I think it finished an hour or so before some rain set in. I trust they all do well. There was a single aircraft flyover, and it went over my patch again as it did a turn but I was so busy I didn't even look up.

The snowpeas are out. I picked the last few peas and then carefully removed them and the trellis to enable a redo of that bit with tomatoes and sunflowers. There are lots of tomato plants because the greenhouse team didn't sellout and its now too hot in there so all the seedlings came out and are sitting in the shade of the pear tree.

The corn is getting taller and is mostly above knee height. It looks good.

The driplines were covered in mulch, especially where the drips are.

This afternoon I finished installing about 33m of shadecloth above my patch - the pickets are finally being used as intended. So if there is a storm and some hail tonight the patch has some protection.

After the Open Day two new members have grabbed a patch each and they are starting their vegie beds etc: its hard yakka and hot for them. I am very glad my work was done in the cooler months. All the plots are now busy on the weekends and the place is in full production mode.

Last Sunday there was a Christmas get together but I missed it due to work. I did help a bit. I decorated the pear tree with red baubles. It looked magic. Near there, in the social area, is the Mulberry tree and its great for a snack at the moment. Top place to be lately, despite the weather.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:19:36 PM by Carzee »

Online Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 117
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
Hot today, nudged 38deg. Went out to the plot early and got the dripper working early.

On the post for 3rd December the corn was 300m high.

I can say that by 3rd January the corn was as high as the shadecloth which is as high as the tops of the star pickets -about 1900mm.

The other plots have corn, some older by 2 weeks, with the same or similar compost added to the topsoil.... but without dripper hoselines -and its not nearly as high as my corn.

Conclusion - either the dripper hoselines work very well or the shadecloth has some effect unknown.

This afternoon we used the trailer to get some wooden crates over to the plot. I may try to do some raised vegie beds.

Last photo shows the latest upgrade - installed Raybrig H4 headlights (gift from Wayne who installed Trucklite LEDs). I like them. They have a lot of facets, like jewels and they remind me of the headlights in the Dinki cars I owned half a century ago.

Online Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 117
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2018, 09:50:23 PM »
Raybrigs