Author Topic: Buying at auction - Pickup day what to expect  (Read 172 times)

Offline Jasper

• THANKS 0
Buying at auction - Pickup day what to expect
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:45:18 PM »
Great forum everyone, I have been learning a lot from it thank you.

I need some help understanding what to expect when buying a vehicle via the Pickles auction.

In the next few month's I am looking to hopefully make a purchase of a 110 Land Rover.

Considering that I do win one of the auctions my expectation on pickup day is that I will arrive at the place with a friend and drive home the vehicle, probably via an RTA office to sort out the registration.

Is that realistic?

Will the vehicle have a charged battery? Should I bring jumper leads, or maybe need to bump start it?

Should I bring a jerry can with some fuel in it, or does anyone know if they typically have enough fuel to get to a local service station.

Any tips from someone who has done this would be appreciated, what should I look out for etc...

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 463
Re: Buying at auction - Pickup day what to expect
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 12:09:58 PM »
 ;)  who is going to check the vehicle out ,you should be able to get an idea  from that, to be sure i would be taking a battery, some fuel  a few tools , obtain the permit to drive it if it is safe to drive and all lights operating pay for it including the commission on it etc,etc0r put on a trailer and take it home that way ,TONA.

Offline Rusty Gunn

• THANKS 1
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:44:00 PM »
I was overseas so I had my dad bring mine home on a trailer (WA). Later I took it with a short-term permit to the weigh station and local approved garage. On the way to the weigh station on a country road I was spotted and stopped by the cops for having no plates so I was glad I'd done it right and had a permit.

The vehicle was in running order apart from a parking light but YMMV so as Tona says, be prepared.

Look out for people pinching the locker key tools from the seats. Apparently this happens. One of mine was missing.

Offline Jasper

• THANKS 0
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 08:24:01 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

Pickles do say they come with a NSW roadworth certificate, so the vehicles would needed to have been through a brake test, exhaust test, and lights test to pass that in the last 30 days. So I do have some hope that the basics are in place. In the current climate with Covid that is the only inspection that is allowed, I certainly get your point tona.

The locker key tools, not thought of that, is they some place on the seat that these are usually stored? My expectation is that those will be missing, are their easy to acquire?

We'll let you know how we get on.

Offline Minikeg

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 76
  • REMLR No: 316
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 12:23:49 AM »
Just because they have paperwork that say they were inspected, does not mean they were.

Having said that, its an unreal feeling picking them up
I'm not completely useless.. I'm missing some of the pieces
110-415 'Agro' 1959 88" CR              111-676 'Pickles II' 1959 88" CR
114-270 'Maya' 1967 109" GS/WS      113-368 'Castrol' 1964 88" GS
48-975 'Reptar' 1988 110" FFR           48-932 'Widget' 1988 110" GS