Author Topic: No indicators or reversing lights  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Twochutes

• THANKS 0
No indicators or reversing lights
« on: April 20, 2020, 09:40:42 AM »
I have a 6x6 cargo (aka Betty).

I have replaced the headlights with LED versions... bit of a game because someone had butchered one of the headlights when they replaced the original unit...any way not part of the story....

During the process I hooked up the indicators and side lights to the led units so that they work in unison. First one all good. Second one head and sidelights ok but no indicator..... in fact no indicators at all..... and no reversing lights either...

Checked the fuse, looks ok and the meter says it's ok too.

I've done a full fault check on the reversing lights. The pressure switch, the reversing light switch and the lights are all ok. However there is no incoming power to the pressure switch.

The flasher unit seems ok too - unless there are two units, in which case I've only found one.

I've looked at the circuit diagrams (VEH G203 ISS 2_*_of_3.pdf) but (basically) they're so fuzzy I can't really follow them.

There doesn't seem to be any power on either side of the fuse socket... Which I'm guessing is the issue.

I did have a similar issue a couple of weeks ago but it "magically" disappeared...or not!!

Any advice or guidance from the collected brains trust most welcome.

Oh.. The hazard lights work but I think they are on a separate circuit (??)

Jon

UPDATE:  Found the problem.... Faulty relay (not the hazard switch)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:06:09 PM by Twochutes »

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
Re: No indicators or reversing lights
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 01:29:57 PM »
Jon, I am 99% sure your problem will be the hazard switch. They are interconnected with the indicator wiring circuit and are the usual culprit when what you describe happens. Note that the hazard switch itself will still operate normally as it should. The reversing lights are a separate circuit but you must have the engine running for them to work. But saying all this there could be a problem with the LED setup you have interfering with the normal wiring.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Twochutes

• THANKS 0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 05:57:06 PM »
Do you know if there is an easy way to isolate the hazard switch (can I just remove it) to see if that is the issue.

I know the rev. lights are working as I ran a 12v feed (from the battery)  into the oil-pressure switch and with the engine running the lights came on...so all good there.

I have to take the lights out (anyway) to fix up the bezel clips and beam adjusters that had been lost some time before Betty came in to my keeping (have a kit on order) so I can check if the lights are causing the issue when I do that.

However, as this fault first appeared before I made any changes (and you're not the first to point a finger at the hazard switch) I think the hazard switch will bear a serious looking at.

Thanks.

Jon

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 06:26:13 PM »
I have found the best way is to get a new hazard switch and change it out and see what happens. They are not expensive and it's always good to have a spare on board.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Twochutes

• THANKS 0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 06:52:13 PM »
I assume you're referring to the $35 dollar one and not the genuine Lucas one (@ a very reasonable $272....:-) )?

Offline Twochutes

• THANKS 0
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »
So... after 4 days of standing on the drive she's got over her sulk and the indicators and reversing lights are now working....... I really hate intermittent faults that come and go as they please. The only change I made was to replace an unrelated broken (but not blown") fan fuse. Grrr

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 463
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 12:27:20 PM »
 ;D   the prince of darkness strikes again , you will get used to it , keep fighting, remember the ANZAC,S, TONA.

Offline Twochutes

• THANKS 0
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 03:09:07 PM »
FWIW - Not the hazard switch in this case, a failed relay.

Oh well, live and learn