Author Topic: Introduction and some bits for sale  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Stewbie

• THANKS 0
Introduction and some bits for sale
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »
G’day Everyone

Short introduction; Stu from Brissy and I recently became the proud owner of a Haulmark PT1 trailer

Great trailer and very happy with the purchase; this is stronger and better than most other trailers commercially available, but...one of the issues I found very early in the piece was you can’t get mag wheels for the trailer. There wasn’t anything available on the market to take better tyres than what came with the unit, so after some serious soul searching I made the decision to swap the axle out for a bigger unit that allowed me to run a 6 stud wheel pattern, in the end the axle was way over-engineered and is currently running 12” brakes and 2t bearings but it means I can run the same wheels that is on the car. The unfortunate side was I lost the park brake, something which I found extremely useful and was sorry to see it go

I also did a few other mods, the bigger one was to mount a spare wheel under the trailer on the rear. This uses a wind up mechanism similar to what the current crop of utes run underneath for their spare. I also made some tie down railings for the sides and rear door, as well as fill in the gap between the front lift point and the guard- it makes a very good step.

Another mod I did which others may be interested in was the wiring and in particular the way the brakes work. It took some time to work out (from scratch) how they operate and I had the system set up as intended but found when I reversed the trailer into my driveway and touched the brakes the trailer would lock up and I would have to roll forward a touch to release the brakes. Easy mod was to run a relay (constant on) and have that connected to the reverse lights from the car (I run a 7 pin plug). End result is that the brakes work on the stop light but they won’t if it’s in reverse gear

I have the drawings for the wiring and relay mod if anyone is interested and also have the 3 military publications that relate to the trailer- the service instructions, light repair and technical description manuals

I also have some spares up for sale- all the brake components from the brake line junction box above the axle (complete calipers, lines, bolts etc), the park bake lever and cables, the complete axle assembly including the rotors, 3 original rims with rubber, the rear tow point and believe it or not, an olive green Mk5 canvas cover that is in very good condition

If anyone is interested in the publications, parts or the mods I have done, please drop me an IM

Cheers, Stu

Offline Sixty

• THANKS 77
Re: Introduction and some bits for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 08:07:56 PM »
You couldnt find alloy rims to suit LR stud pattern..or ones you prefered?
 And you went to elec or stayed overrun hydraulic?
RoyalAustralianEasyMoneyEarner!

Al

Offline Stewbie

• THANKS 0
Re: Introduction and some bits for sale
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 11:19:11 PM »
Hi Sixty,

I couldn't find any rims, but that was before I found this site

As for the brakes, I still run the pintle hook and Cebco master cylinder... with a little mod for reverse

Cheers Stu