Author Topic: Modifications may reduce your Perentie value.  (Read 267 times)

Offline Dragon Wagon

• THANKS 4
Modifications may reduce your Perentie value.
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:02:13 AM »
Many of us on these forums started here with 2a army land rovers and as military vehicle enthusiasts were staunchly restoring or preserving these vehicles to original specs. With the Perentie disposals, it is great that a lot of new and many younger members have come on board. I bought my first acco 6x6 straight out of the army, but from disposals dealer Chris Watson near Bendigo, around thirty years ago and would avoid drilling any holes to mount a radio in it etc. I remember the trip back home well. Had been racing my track bike at Brunswick velodrome and had a bad accident skidding along the concrete on my side for quite a distance the night before. Got elbowed over by another rider, whilst sprinting at close to 60km. Lost a lot of skin. All bandaged up, driving the acco home with my mother and father behind in the car. We still have that same acco 6x6. It is completely original still. The acco put me through university, contracting with it carting small square bales of grass hay over the summer holidays.

However, what I would like to pass on in terms of experience, for those interested to hear, is to say, that your vehicle will likely be more valuable if kept completely original. If you think you need a turbo, you might be better off buying a td5 defender, than spending a fortune modifying the Perentie.

Some of these punters are spending $50k modifying their Perenties and then finding that they are still drafty old vehicles and that the $50k can never be got back in terms of the vehicles selling value. Maybe, the extra power makes an already old vehicle, with a slightly shady handling reputation less safe too. That is my advice. Your Perentie will likely be more valuable in the long term if kept completely original.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 07:32:07 AM by Dragon Wagon »

Offline the_grey_ghost

• THANKS 7
Re: Modifications may reduce your Perentie value.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 02:27:49 PM »
I was lucky that my FFR (purchased 2 years ago) was original - it hasn't had lifting points removed, or tool brackets removed, etc.

Anything that I have done to mine - can be reversed. For example I fitted a cubby box (from a Defender) between the front seats. I had a spare seat box lid from a Series III, which I painted in the protec paint - and attached the cubby box to that.. I haven't drilled any extra holes, or removed any wiring, etc.

My aim is to keep my FFR as stock as possible. For the sake of the vehicle and also for future re-sale.

Having said that, I don't understand why people put big muddies on their Perenties, HD axles, turbos, hard top roofs, etc... But on the other hand - it is their vehicle, and they can do what they want with it... :)

Offline PDF110

• THANKS 1
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:51:13 PM »
I agree with everything re: modifications and the impact on resale and safety. Now while I love the military heritage of my 1988 perentie GS I kept it unmodified for 5 years and barely used it now I've modified it and love driving it around in the city, suburbs, beach and bush. IThe modifications allow me to get much more use from it that probably do impact future value but dramatically increase current enjoyment!

My list of mods:
- matt black colour
- new grey canvas
- front middle seat and belt
- Additional rear ROPS allowing for 4 rear inward facing seat belts all certified (Now legit 7 seater)
- Exhaust changed from side facing to rear facing for RWC
- Turbo
- Rear disc brakes
- Heavy duty clutch
- Power steering
- Snorkel
- Electric winch
- Cig lighter charge socket
- UHF radio
- rear awning
- 285x55x16 muddies  with black wolf rims
- External front and rear light all new LED's
- Front seat covers to match canvas
- Rear seats recovered to match canvas
- Rear rubber floor matt
- Front floor mats

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 100
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:46:36 PM »

The modifications allow me to get much more use from it that probably do impact future value but dramatically increase current enjoyment!

That's the key - your enjoyment is dramatically increased - well done.

Sounds like you've had a lot of fun  with the mods

There'll be enough of them kept original to satisfy any future demand I'm sure - you've bought it - it's yours - enjoy it!
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796