Author Topic: New member  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Iain

• THANKS 0
« on: September 26, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »
Hi all,
Just a quick introduction after a year or so of reading interesting posts.
I live in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and imported an RFSV (51-726) last year after buying it from Landybitz ( Juddy).
I've had a few Land Rovers over the years and am well pleased with the Perentie. Thanks to Juddy for finding me a nice one.
I'm still getting to know it and making a list in my mind of the work to do as I go. I aim to keep it original, except for the fog light conversion required for our MOT test. I also changed the coolant for an anti-freeze mix, it was November when it arrived !
Anyway, I'll post more on the old lady but for now a couple of pics of her in her new home.

Regards
Iain

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:26:20 AM by Iain »

Offline Iain

• THANKS 0
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 10:38:06 PM »
Damn it, can a moderator please sort out the upside down picture if possible?
It was OK this end....

Many thanks
Iain
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:18:59 AM by Iain »

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 02:03:35 AM »
delete and repost is  the easiest eay
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline Iain

• THANKS 0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 02:32:10 AM »
I have tried a few ideas including using my iPad that has the original picture but it just keeps loading upside down.
That's a shame as it is a nice picture of the Landy and my M1008 nose to nose with a frost coating.
Sorry about that.

It can be seen here http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/39540-new-toy/?tab=comments#comment-441927

I hope it is OK to post this link.

Iain

Offline Young Eric

• THANKS 31
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »
Damn it, can a moderator please sort out the upside down picture if possible?
It was OK this end....

Many thanks
Iain

Well, you are in the other hemisphere !

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 10:01:03 AM »
Welcome Iain, good to see your pics on the other forum you linked. I see you have the Logbook. Do you have any photos from the seller of how it looked at the Army auction. I have them if you don't. It was auctioned -almost exactly- 5 years ago. It sold for half their current prices.

Also, one of our forum members loaded up a photo here in 2018 of your RFSV whilst still in the Army, presumably in FNQ where the member is based. The photo simply portrays the old and the new. Perhaps you have it already. You are probably well aware, as well, that the RFSV was replaced (after much delay by the government) by the gucci G-Wagon Leichter LKW für jedes Gelände.

Offline Iain

• THANKS 0
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
Welcome Iain, good to see your pics on the other forum you linked. I see you have the Logbook. Do you have any photos from the seller of how it looked at the Army auction. I have them if you don't. It was auctioned -almost exactly- 5 years ago. It sold for half their current prices.

Also, one of our forum members loaded up a photo here in 2018 of your RFSV whilst still in the Army, presumably in FNQ where the member is based. The photo simply portrays the old and the new. Perhaps you have it already. You are probably well aware, as well, that the RFSV was replaced (after much delay by the government) by the gucci G-Wagon Leichter LKW für jedes Gelände.
Thank you that's a cracking photo, I do not have any from its past including at auction and would love to see them.

The UK military has the same problem now, if you look at the much heralded new Defender its not going to fit the bill, at all. To me it should be called a Discovery HD, its not a Defender. The land rover fleet including Wolf is passed its replacement date and no sign of domestic equivalent, unless Jim Ratcliffe (Ineos) gets the Grenadier up to scratch.  I can see us buy G wagons or similar for some of it with a mix of protected mobility etc. Who knows. How sad is that! I first came across G wagons from Argentina, mostly with bullet holes, nice little run arounds but not as usable as a landy. I always found them to be overpriced tack. Things have moved on in the last 30 odd years and I am keen to hear what the impression of the current models is.
I got this one at a reasonable price from Juddy and its still showing around 30K backed up by the service record and Rego. So I'm happy.
I had it imported and as its over 10 years old did not need a Single Vehicle Approval, a simple MOT test based on standards at year of manufacture.
Ill go more into it in a separate post.

Many thanks
Iain

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 07:05:04 PM »
Interesting. I will post the auctioneer pix below.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »
more

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 07:07:36 PM »
more

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 07:08:53 PM »
more

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 07:10:09 PM »
last ones

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
The Skoda defender will probably have amazing minor details that the advertising videos missed in all the excitement about the loss of the chassis and the new disco shapes. Amazing and so practical for primary industry owners... things like electronic compliance plate info in the main cpu, or switchable IP addresses for the network uplink in case some customers need to encrypt their GPS locations etc.  I can see the government big brother or leasing company of the future instructing the electric vehicle recharging stations, remotely, not to recharge a particular chassis or IP due to lapsed tax charges, insurance charges, mortgage payments, outstanding divorce obligations... and a robot will arrive at some point to reclaim the vehicle "key" whatever that will looks like.

The future is coming fast. This week B Dynamics advertised some worksite GS robotic platforms...
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkCQXHEgjA

Offline Iain

• THANKS 0
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 07:54:08 PM »
Thank you very much for posting those pics !

Its had 4 years or so in private ownership before me and has not been messed with other than the rear step is missing (also the compressor but I've replaced that) . I can see no evidence as it is now on the rear crossmember of support brackets or mounting points? Can a replacement be easily made?

Iain

Offline Iain

• THANKS 0
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
The Skoda defender will probably have amazing minor details that the advertising videos missed in all the excitement about the loss of the chassis and the new disco shapes. Amazing and so practical for primary industry owners... things like electronic compliance plate info in the main cpu, or switchable IP addresses for the network uplink in case some customers need to encrypt their GPS locations etc.  I can see the government big brother or leasing company of the future instructing the electric vehicle recharging stations, remotely, not to recharge a particular chassis or IP due to lapsed tax charges, insurance charges, mortgage payments, outstanding divorce obligations... and a robot will arrive at some point to reclaim the vehicle "key" whatever that will looks like.

The future is coming fast. This week B Dynamics advertised some worksite GS robotic platforms...
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkCQXHEgjA
That robot was looking straight at me !

The new Defender
It apparently has the most up to date electronics on any Land Rover product, and more of it.
You can do an online spec/build.  Truck or crew cab- NO, Soft top - NO, WIMK-  Definitely NO   Its not a Defender.

And look at the prices, base commercial model £35k +

Iain

Oops, kind of wandered off the intro a bit...