Author Topic: Perentie Gearbox bolt coming loose/out  (Read 585 times)

Offline Muesli

• THANKS 4
Perentie Gearbox bolt coming loose/out
« on: June 27, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
Hi Folks,

I seem to have a problem with a large looking bolt coming out of the gearbox even with the lock washer (which surrounds the entire bolt head) in place. See pictures. There is what looks like a thick spacer under the bolt head, which comes out with the the bolt head, and I get oil seeping/dripping through/out past the bolt shaft.

I keep tightening the bolt up, but it seems to work loose over time, especially under harder 4x4 driving conditions. I get the impression that the other (internal) end of the bolt comes loose, and the bolt then just slides out through the lock washer with engine vibrations?

Can anyone please advise me what the bolt does, how serious the situation is/can be, and what best to do about it? I have just crossed the Simpson (total about 6,000 km) with the bolt having to be re-tightened at the end of every day.

As I can't find literature regarding how the bolt is anchored at  the other (internal) end, I am looking to making up a bracket to keep it in place, but am worried that that what ever is holding the bolt in at the other end will become too loose/fall off and cause damage?

Any help / suggestions / enlightenment would be most welcome.

Thank You.

George.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:44:14 AM by Muesli »
Best regards, Muesli.

1991 110 Truck, Surveillance, Light-weight (Upgraded RFSV), Winch, MC2: Ex ADF ARN51675

Offline fv102

• THANKS 4
Re: Perentie Gearbox bolt coming loose/out
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 08:36:31 PM »
On both ends of the intermediate shaft assembly there is a small pin that should stop the running shaft and the nut at the inner end from turning, sounds like this pin has come adrift and as a consequence the nut keeps shaking loose. Surprised you're not havng other issues such as it jumping out of gear?

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 95
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
George, if that bolt is coming loose it must be because the 2 pins (no 7) in the illustration above have come out of the plug and allowing the plug to rotate under thrust and thus unscrewing the bolt wihch is held by the retaining plate. You will have to drop the transfer case sump and remove the handbrake assembly to remove the bolt and then you can drop the complete intermediate shaft assembly out of the transfer case and remove the plug and then loctite the 2 pins back in place. This is unusual for this to happen and I would think it was because the bolt was not torqued to the correct figure (125 Ft/lb)
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Muesli

• THANKS 4
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 06:59:11 PM »
Many thanks fv102 and Bearman for your help and replies. Very much appreciated. Thank you.

I did have problems with the Landy jumping out of the Low Range under load a few times (had to hold the gear lever in Low Range position by hand; it worked).

I am judging from your replies that the repair can be affected with the transfer box in place, from under the car?

Many thanks again,

George.

Best regards, Muesli.

1991 110 Truck, Surveillance, Light-weight (Upgraded RFSV), Winch, MC2: Ex ADF ARN51675

Offline fv102

• THANKS 4
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 05:30:55 PM »
George,
Yes, the entire job can be done in situ without having to remove the gearbox.
Good opportunity to check the bolts on the rear of the centre diff.

D

Offline Muesli

• THANKS 4
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
OK, great. Many thanks.

Looking at the diagram, I take it the gears run on a sleeve that slides over the bolt (?), and so the gears come out as one piece? Is that correct?
It is not clear to me, however, how the pin secures the nut/stops it from turning. Where does it insert into,a casing flange or the like?

Many thanks again,
George.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 05:46:15 PM by Muesli »
Best regards, Muesli.

Offline fv102

• THANKS 4
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:00:52 AM »
Hi George,

You'll need to remove the handbrake cover and withdraw the centre diff alond with the bottom cover after draining down the oil. The large bolt that you've been frequently tightening can be undone whilst supporting the intermediate gear set, as the bolt is withdrawn the gear set can be lowered away. The shaft nut will be found remaing in the transfer box.

Hope the brief description helps...

Offline Muesli

• THANKS 4
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 01:40:22 PM »
Great. Many thanks.

I'll let you know how I go  :)

George.
Best regards, Muesli.