Author Topic: Wiles Cooker  (Read 394 times)

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 6
Wiles Cooker
« on: June 05, 2019, 09:42:42 AM »
New old project underway. I am making a start on restoring a wiles cooker. Is anyone else restoring one? All and any advise gratefully recieved.

Tom

Offline Mike C

• THANKS 90
Re: Wiles Cooker
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
An interesting restoration. Keep us posted on your progress, please.

Which type are you restoring: 2 wheel Junior or 4 wheel?

Do you have the build plate number (centre of the rear body lower coaming),  and the boiler number (face of the boiler)?

Regards

Mike

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 6
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 06:44:06 PM »
2 wheel job. Did not pay attention to the numbers but will have a look and post them if I can find them over the weekend. Have striped it down and repared the trailer. Now comes the bigger jobs. If I can work out how to post photos I will put some up on the site.
Tom

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 6
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 08:05:31 PM »
Ok found the boiler serial number it is 2508. No luck so far with the lower coaming number. the unit is in bits but will persevere
Tom

Offline Mike C

• THANKS 90
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 11:54:25 PM »
Sorry, I should have explained that the number on the plate of the 4-wheel was on the lower coaming at the rear. Don't remember where the plate was on the 2-wheel junior. The Army's 2-wheel juniors were all purchased in the 1950s. Serial 2508 corresponds to a post-war build (the boilers were sequentially numbered).

You will find my article on the Wiles cooker starting at page 16 of this edition of KVE news:  https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/431291_3f9fc551258543f9b13849111c025390.pdf

I don't have a specific ARN listed against boiler 2508, but boiler 2505 was the original boiler that equipped ARN 153959, one of the batch purchased from Wiles in the late 1950s. You may be able to locate your boiler number listed later within AWM126, viewable on-line on the AWM website, if it is indeed an Army Wiles - the RAAF purchased a few around the same time.

Regards

Mike

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 6
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »
I got it out of victoria. There seems to be a 1960s date stamped in the boiler as well. will keep looking. Thanks for the tip with the AWM site.
Tom

Offline john.k

• THANKS 27
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
be careful of the boiler.....if the machinery narcs catch you ,can be serious fines.......these guys got no sense of humor...or anything else.Incidentally ,the army sold dozens of the boilers unused in the 80s,probably when the army cookers went over to gas,and stainless everything....I had a few new boilers ,havent looked recently.I grafted two together end for end for a small steam car.Years ago now.

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 6
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:08:45 AM »
I got a new bold stock boiler and heating bars with it.
I assume you are referring to the boiler test certification??
Tom