Author Topic: intermediate axle movement  (Read 1714 times)

Offline landieman1958

• THANKS 1
intermediate axle movement
« on: April 17, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
Hi Gurus

I have a 6x6 Ambo & have 2 questions for the Gurus

Q1 On the intermediate axle oil is leaking from the rubber hub cap passengers side. I am assuming that oil should not get to the hub cap & the inner oil seal is leaking. Please advise if this would be the case.

Q2 When I removed the rubber hub cap I found that the axle can float in & out approx. 12mm is this normal as it seems rather excessive. There doesn't appear to be any radial movement. If deemed excessive please advise what the issue may be.
I have attached a photo hopefully it comes through

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Cheers

Mark

Offline yerriyong

• THANKS 20
Re: intermediate axle movement
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
Mark the oil is not an issue reaching the hub thats the case on all rear diffs, sounds like the cap needs replacing, I also have a 6x6 and dont recall any axle having that much end float, others on here would be of help.
97 6x6 arn 202 300
90 rfsv arn 51658

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »
Hi Mark - my 6x6 had an oil leak from a faulty cap - replaced all six and used hydraulic sealant under the cap before fitting - no more leaks (for the present time - they really aren't bad at all).  The end play on my vehicles varies from a few mm to about 8 mm.  This is my benchmark, however when you look at the splines if there is no sign of increased wear, (There is none on your axle) I would think this is a normal occurance - lets see what others have experienced.

STDDIVER

Offline landieman1958

• THANKS 1
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies Gents. I removed the axle & there doesn't appear to be any wear so I can only assume the splines on that axle were originally machined further along the shaft than standard. I checked one of the rear axles & there is only 5mm float. Looks like one of those land rover anomalies. I replaced the rubber hub cap & is now ok no oil leaks

One thing I did notice in the parts book on REMLR in group JC pages 86 & 87 it shows a hand sketched seal item 2A seal axle shaft inner any idea where that sits in the assembly as I didn't see it when I disassembled.

thanks again for your replies

Mark

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 06:22:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies Gents. I removed the axle & there doesn't appear to be any wear so I can only assume the splines on that axle were originally machined further along the shaft than standard. I checked one of the rear axles & there is only 5mm float. Looks like one of those land rover anomalies. I replaced the rubber hub cap & is now ok no oil leaks

One thing I did notice in the parts book on REMLR in group JC pages 86 & 87 it shows a hand sketched seal item 2A seal axle shaft inner any idea where that sits in the assembly as I didn't see it when I disassembled.

thanks again for your replies

That's an inner seal in the rear axle to hold oil in the diff. As you know the rear axle is tilted up so the driveshaft can clear the intermediate axle and the seal holds the oil to the correct level so the front pinion bearing gets enough oil. You can see the rear diff has a higher level filler bung.
Mark
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline landieman1958

• THANKS 1
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »
thanks Bearman that explains it, I thought I may have been missing something

cheers

mark