Author Topic: Broad Arrow marking  (Read 134 times)

Offline Altomcal

• THANKS 0
Broad Arrow marking
« on: April 17, 2019, 03:38:42 PM »
Hi there. First post, and a new member. Apologies if Iím doing it wrong, just send me in the right direction!
I recently picked up a Series 1 107 Ute which has a faded marking on both doors. Looks like DM with Broad Arrow in between. Hopefully I have attached a pic correctly.
Iíve seen it mentioned somewhere that this may have been a Commonwealth vehicle. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. Or could suggest where I could search further for info.
Thanks, Tom

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 97
  • REMLR No: 374
Re: Broad Arrow marking
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
Welcome to our forum Tom.

The "Broad Arrow" or pheon has been used to denote government ownership well back (hundreds of years) in English history, and its use continued beyond the convict era in Oz.

The usual D D was the military version (often known as Dad & Dave).

It was also used (in Australia) by government departments, both Commonwealth and State.

I'm guessing that your 107 could have been a State Govt vehicle (e.g. Dept of Mines?).

Hopefully some historian might come along with more knowledge.

2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Altomcal

• THANKS 0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »
Nice one, I appreciate the info. I had assumed it had to be a Commonwealth / Federal link, and didn't realise State's used the Broad Arrow logo as well. Dept of Mines would've been a State thing, so I'll keep looking in that direction perhaps. I bought the car from SA, apparently it had come from Flinders Rangers way recently, but that's about all I know.
Thanks again for the assistance.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 144
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:52:11 AM »
Hmmm, besides the Snowy Hydro scheme, what other big government activities were going on in the late 1950s and early to mid 1960s that used Series 1 LR?

Maybe Woomera. What markings did the Woomera fleet have? Dad n Dave only? (I don't own a book about Woomera yet).
Other projects I can think of: Ord river dam (c1960), MIA, Gold and iron ore mines WA, Copper mines SA and Qld. Plus associated rail projects. Tas Hydro? Giles weather stn?

Offline Altomcal

• THANKS 0
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:38:49 AM »
Interesting thoughts, thanks. I've been going through some archive pics put up by State Libraries etc online (just searching Land Rover in the subject line) and have come across some interesting photos from the 50s. None with a similar marking to what's on mine, but it's cool seeing the early Land Rovers in the outback in the 50s doing government work. PMG used a 107 with equipment mounted on the back to install poles. I also read about the lone policeman in Maralinga who was issued a motorbike, which shook apart in no time not surprisingly, before being given a Series one SWB. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything. The DM logo is about the only paint left on the car, incidentally. It's obviously lived a pretty hot and dusty life.