Author Topic: I keep loosing Axle Caps.  (Read 461 times)

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
I keep loosing Axle Caps.
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »
 Hi all. Chasing some help to figure this out.

Been a bit warm as of late and the driverís side front Genuine Rubber axle cap keeps popping off when it gets warm.

Iím running oil filled not one shot. Oil levels static in diff and hub..

Isnít there a seal between the hub and the axel that would negate diff air pressure?

The oil levels are spot on in both hub and diff.

Even the new tight cap popís off. Stays there while driving but after parked up it pops off with a weep of oil on the rim?

Thanks
Phil

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 95
  • REMLR No: 430
Re: I keep loosing Axle Caps.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »
Wonder if the drive flange is a cheapie. Maybe the lip that the dust boot sits on is not right. I would try cleaning it all up and adding some silastic etc to the area where it sits.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
Thanks Brian.

If this is the worst thing that's happened in the 2500km travelled in 4 years since the resto I'm still happy as.

Instead of just pushing a new on I've had a closer look now that you mentioned it

The ring land on the flange is slightly smaller than the Genuine rubber FRC4377 and a bit bruised on the flange's lip.

Used a flexible adhesive sealant on it this time after a good clean fingers crossed.

Its was a bit embarrassing when the store owner comes out with you to check it out 49-175 and the cap just pops off and runs oil on his floor at his feet.  :o

Cheers Phil

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »
Brian -

I'm not good enough to tell if it a genuine flange or not.

Its not replaced since I "won it" at the auction.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 52
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »
Hi Phil - check your diff breather is clear too!   STDDIVER

Offline fc101

• THANKS 51
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
I have been in Landrovers since 1977 when I had a Series 1 - since I have had quite a few and they all had a propensity to loose their caps - I silastic'd mine on and the stayed on and where easy to get off when needed.  Also because of the silastic if you pulled them off and put them on in the same spot the springiness of the silastic kept them in place until you could reglue them.

No lost a cap on the 101 as yet.

Garry

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »
Well its stayed on this time. :)

Hindsight I was a bit slack the first time and the groove was oily when I replaced it the pushed the replacement on.

STDDIVER Correct me if my understanding is askew "The front axle has seals between the Uni Joint end the hub as they run at different oil levels. (I'm running oil hubs) Or so the diff oil and the "one shot" don't mix. Not sure that the pressure in the front makes it to the Rubber Axle Hubs like the rear axle if this seal was working?

This thought was why I was asking.

Thanks good people for chiming in.

Phil

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 52
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 07:12:46 PM »
Phil - you are on the money - didn't read 'front' RH too clearly in your first post -   :-[   On my vehicles I have only had the rear ones leak - hence the breather as this was a problem on a NT trip with lots of high speeds and water crossings.  I assume that your hub temperatures when running are within normal temperatures?   Cheers  STDDIVER