Author Topic: LRC ACT 2019 Easter camp / show n shine near Braidwood  (Read 354 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 147
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
LRC ACT 2019 Easter camp / show n shine near Braidwood
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:21:30 PM »
Here are two posters from F'book page for the ACT LR Club.
I first heard about it last January and understood that many ex-mil LR were invited.

Two options to think about:

4 day Easter camp for $20 per person camping at Majors Creek

OR

Sunday LR Show n Shine at Majors Creek - entry $ Gold Coin for RFS donation
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:24:13 PM by Carzee »

Offline yerriyong

• THANKS 16
Re: LRC ACT 2019 Easter camp / show n shine near Braidwood
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:28:41 AM »
Ross I am keen on a 4 day camp, preferably a bush camp.
97 6x6 arn 202 300
90 rfsv arn 51658

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 147
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »
I will be attending, but I have never been to that camp. I don't know if its a showground or footy oval sort of place or if its a paddock on some property. There is a all day drive to bendethera caves on the Saturday from 0800. Popular place at easter, lots of creek crossings, but thats another spot I haven't been. Creeks may be on the low side due to drought for all we know.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 147
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 04:45:31 PM »
The weather over Easter was near perfect. I asked about the camping and the Saturday drive thru the Nat. Park to Bendethera and apparently it was a good day out, good attendance. At the final destination -the Bendethera Flat camping area "there were about 1000 people camping there" I was told. The roads were suffering as most 4x4s were pulling camper trailers -something else I heard. I had heard a few years back that the NP Service had closed the area to camper trailers...

On the Sunday we went after a bad night's sleep due to ungodly 3am pickup for Kristy's USA airplane trip (daughter 2). Arrived 10 minutes late at 1010hrs. A nice village/hamlet. Beaut showgrounds there - with a fair few LR and sundry car enthusiasts displaying their treasures (15-20 veh plus CFS units etc). All up 5 Perentie 4x4.

Some good info was swapped around and lotsa chats. Wayne's engine bay had some lookers (turbo with the new Taipan polished alloy exhaust manifold from KLR). I had a good look at the AluCab Defenders and how every bit of space was utilised (to avoid the need for a camper trailer). A Porta Potti was stored on the floor of the wagon, packed under a shelf, right behind the driver. (Not too good if you go wheels up - a shower of smelly stuff perhaps?) I also checked out the http://quickpitch.com.au "ensuite" that is patented and sells for $600 or in that vicinity. First I had seen. We also discussed travel ideas, awning designs, roadside coffee making, and camping gear. And dogs.

An enjoyable day out.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 147
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »
On the way home, about 60km from the showground, our group of 3 Perenties pulled over to help a breakdown, a club member from ACT with a overheating alarm on (Disco 3 diesel). It was the Engine Saver unit that alarmed. The driver had contacted the NRMA (lucky the phone had reception in those hills). On an Easter Sunday this couple would be waiting a fair while perhaps... very likely hours. So we checked a few things, couldn't see a problem.

So we kept going homeward. No mechanical awards coming our way! So another tilt tray was on its way somewhere. Maybe it was the late night but we couldn't "see the problem" with the Disco and we await the solution to the mystery once Johnny at the Workshop at Fyshwick has fixed it. However, Kay may have come up with the answer about 10km down the road. (Now thats a good thing).

Here's what we did.
Checked coolant level, no coolant leak, no weeping from water pump area or water pump noises, all the belts present and correct, oil on dipstick was on the mark (had been sitting there 30 mins already). No cuppacino under the oil cap. Viscous fan prob? Not likely, engine bay looked very fresh. A electric fan is out front as well. No auto cooler - manual car. If a rad leak or cracked tank.... but no leaks and coolant at correct level. The hoses were hot/expanded but not leaking.

Hmmm. Kay guesses it was a stuck/broken thermostat.