Author Topic: Perentie 4 x 4 won't start  (Read 396 times)

Offline Shumba

• THANKS 0
Perentie 4 x 4 won't start
« on: March 09, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
Hi guys this is my first post. Have electrical challenge. Battery was flat and I was stuck out at Wisman's Ferry so purchased a new one from Garage. It went flat too. Have purchased but not fitted a new alternator from KLR. However, now with a fully charged battery the starter motor will not kick over. The dash light up (can hear some relays click over when shift to auxiliary position) but does not kick over. Will bi pass the solenoid but seems strange that would have an alternator and solenoid problem at same time. Wondering if there is something else happening?

Also by the way a built a rear wheel carrier using a Disco 1 door mounted bracket. Total cost was less than $ 50 compared to > $ 1,000 for a swing away one. Happy to share photo. It also has the central bracket for a high lift jack.

Cheers

Mal

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 147
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Perentie 4 x 4 won't start
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 08:59:24 PM »
Hi Mal, some tough luck there.

"Battery was flat and I was stuck out at Wisman's Ferry so purchased a new one from Garage. It went flat too."

Did it go flat sitting there or did you drive it around some and noticed the alternator light was on or ...did it go flat because you weren't driving it much if ever or did you leave the lights on overnight? More info may give some clues as to why your Landy eats batteries.

A battery tester, not a meter, but a load tester could provide info on your current (pun) battery.

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 09:36:49 PM »
Hi Mal welcome.

You have a short. Short circuits eat batteries. There is enough YouTube vids on how to find if you have one. Having said that.

If it went flat inside 24 hours you will be able to feel heat at the point of short with a new battery or on a charger in a while.

The ADF fitted starter motors are of a waterproof, meaning that will operate underwater. Where it all goes to hell in a hand basket is when people don't put the plug in the bell housing doing water crossings. water gets inside the starter motor along the dog shaft and inside the motor. Being a waterproof type the water cant get out. The water evaporates but starts corrosion inside making iron oxide, rust. Its is conductive and eventually makes a short circuit.

If this is indeed the point of the short it will take a little while to get warm with power.

You can do a temp fix if you are lucky by placing a block of wood against the starter and give it a reasonable thump (not OTT) to dislodge the crap. Have someone if you can turn the starter on and off with the key at the same time.

Might get you out of trouble. 

An Alternator can short circuit but wont affect the starter not turning so I guess its the starter.

If you want a waterproof one you'll have to rebuilt the one you got as the aftermarket equivalent ones are not.

The whole bell housing assembly should be sealed with a sealant the box, engine and starter mating faces. So when the bottom plug goes in its watertight and your clutch wont slip during a deep water crossing.

Given the limited information that my 2 cents
Good luck Phil

Offline Shumba

• THANKS 0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:33:37 PM »
Hi guys thanks for your input. I had been driving her often and just done a long run the day before. Noticed the battery was struggling a bit though. I tried all the tricks yesterday with no luck. Cleaned the battery chassis earth. Check the engine chassis earth and put jumper lead across. Tried direct current to the solenoid. Smacked the starter motor with a plank.....

I can hear two relays opening and closing. One in the dash and the other behind the air cleaner. From other sources this sounds like an ignition circuit problem. I bought a new full keyed ignition set from KLR but reluctant to complicate/compound things further. Getting to the point where I bring in NRMA and tow to a sparky. I want to learn as there are no sparks in the bush outback or Cape York. Any thoughts?
Cheers  Mal