Author Topic: Greasing the old girl  (Read 521 times)

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 7
Greasing the old girl
« on: February 26, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »
hi folks
I normally use a Macnaught air greaser to do the job on my vehicles. I have found it a pain in the proverbial to do the uni joints of my RFSV. Are there any attachments etc to make this easier. I don't really want to run multiple grease guns.
 :-\

Offline David

• THANKS 18
  • REMLR No: 478
Re: Greasing the old girl
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:50:46 AM »
There is one uni on my RFSV I cant get to with a standard grease gun without undoing it, so I am also interested in how others get to them all
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 96
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
I pull the shafts off to make sure the grease gets into them properly otherwise there is so much that bypasses the nipple you cannot tell how much has gone into it.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline yerriyong

• THANKS 18
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:15:57 AM »
I have had to machine down the nipple on the lathe to get it in, which I use when traveling.
97 6x6 arn 202 300
90 rfsv arn 51658

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 7
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:31:28 PM »
has anyone heard of a high pressure attachment for the grease gun? its supposedly a tapered fitting for greasing used on aircraft. If i find one i will let you know how successful it is. I dont fancy pulling the shaft but if there is no alternative i guess its what i have to do.
How did the military do it?
 :-\

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 463
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
  G/AY MEMBERS, A ww2 jeep has a special grease attachment that you use when greasing the jeep, this should do the job for you, failing that try drilling a 1/8 gas steel pipe with a drill it may give you enough angle to seal off on the grease nipple I have done this and it does work just , good luck ,TONA.

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 7
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 03:22:53 PM »
Himmm
I will fish around in my jeep pile and see what i can find. thanks for the tip. Your 1/8 tip sounds a bit like the hi pressure fitting i was describing. ist a taper tube that will go into the grease nipple and seal against the sides. Seems you can get a fair bit of pressure into it. It squirts grease for six feet.
Tom