Author Topic: No 5 trailer  (Read 800 times)

Offline Johno

• THANKS 22
  • REMLR No: 321
No 5 trailer
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »
Been a while since my last enquiry, forgot password. can anybody give me info on getting my NO 5 TRAILER registered, does it need mudflaps, what about a VIN PLATE ? or are there other things I need to know before I front the gestapo. I live in WA. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Johno

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 83
  • REMLR No: 217
Re: No 5 trailer
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:39:47 AM »
Ring them and ask and it is best to ring them in head office, so that you get the truth; the petty officials in the inspection centre, make up their own rules sometimes.

Take notes from the person you speak to, such as their name and phone number, it helps when you have a problem to ask the troublesome one to ring head office.

It would be wise to explain that your trailer is ex-army, how old it is and that it is a heritage vehicle, etc.

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 85
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
Take logbook etc as well as purchase details (auction as well if you can).  Just to prove age.

In tassie I had to stick on reflectors and add mudflaps (needed to be closer to the ground than the metal bodywork, damn things fell off though ;)  ) .  Chains predated the adr requiring stamped chains so only need to be of sufficient size. 

Using the above details I had the original chassis number re stamped on the drawbar, but any number will do really, I just wanted to try and keep it original.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098

Offline Gardi01

• THANKS 0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 01:42:06 PM »
Hi. I have bought a No 5 trailer from the April Auction and found the chassis number behind the right hand drain plug fitting. looked it up on the registry and found that one with that number was sold at a Sydney Auction a few years ago, or so it is claimed.

Any advice on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Ian.

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
Ah, so you have a stolen trailer :) I had a similar problem with my Ferret - I was advised by TMR that it was stolen, which was most unlikely as it was partly disassembled in my shed for painting... Took a while to sort out as a trailer with the same number had been stolen in WA. Probably smartest thing will be to get a new number - easiest way in Qld with my number 5 was to register it as home made and they gave me a plate to engrave and rivet to the draw bar.
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 85
    • REMLR
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »
THe No.5 trailers do have some duplicate chassis numbers too, as there were batches made at varying times, some as late as the 80's.
REMLR Webmaster

Offline Breshears

• THANKS 0
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 11:27:24 PM »
Is there a way to tell which batch a trailer belongs to on only the visuals?

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 85
    • REMLR
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 03:23:49 PM »
Generally no, they all look much the same, but it seems to be only the earliest ones that have the stampings obscured.  If a duplicate shows up well I guess we have to look closer!
REMLR Webmaster