Author Topic: lt95  (Read 1798 times)

Offline yerriyong

• THANKS 20
lt95
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »
Looking for some feedback on 2 issues, the first is the center diff bolts coming loose, I had this happen to me with a s111 stage 1 in the 80's I hoped that with the perenties that this would have been sorted out, is it still common with all lt 95's and the other is the oil migrating from the transfer to the g/box, I have had this problem with landcr's, so what Iam asking will it be a problem possibly with all lt95's. It's not an issue to instal a balance hose, but is it wise to do it in case.
97 6x6 arn 202 300
90 rfsv arn 51658

Online fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
Re: lt95
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »
I understand that the bolts coming loose can be an issue but I assume it is related to assembly procedure.  I have had my 101 for 11 years and not had the issue so really is not a design issue though someone may have during previous ownership put locktite on mine.

Again, oil migration is a common fault with these gearboxes but is because the seals between gearbox and tfr case have failed allowing oil to migrate.  Again with my LT95 in my 101 has not been an issue but I believe using a connecting pipe is not an issue but obviously at the first available opportunity the seals should be replaced but my guess is that it easier said than done.

Garry

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
Lots of LT95's have been assembled without the loctite on the centre diff bolts and a couple of other gears in the transfer case and subsequently lead to failure, in some cases completely destroying the casing. A relatively simple job to do especially on assembly. The oil migration from the transfer to the gearbox is a result of the distance sleeve and gear on the end of the mainshaft NOT being loctited onto the shaft. You will most likely find your seal is still in good condition and what causes it is the distance sleeve is not loctited and because of the friction of it inside the seal it wont turn with the shaft and remains stationary with the shaft turning inside it. It has 2 holes for a puller and oil splashes inside the sleeve and the shaft splines act like a vane pump and pressurise inside between the shaft and the sleeve and when the oil is hot and thin it can migrate inside the distance sleeve to the gearbox. You can fix it by removing the gear and sleeve from the end of the mainshaft (in Situ) and loctiting them both onto the shaft. However before you remove them it is vitally important that you put the gearbox into 3rd gear (which stops the mainshaft from moving while you have the end bits off) otherwise you will have major dramas trying to get them back on. While you are at it bang a 30mm brass welsh plug into the reverse idler shaft hole inside the transfer case. This is another oil migration area but from the gearbox to transfer. Use 609 on the distance sleeve and 648 on the input gear and also on the small hi range gear on the centre diff. Use 277 on the centre diff bolts (both casing bolts and low range gear bolts)
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline yerriyong

• THANKS 20
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
Thanks for all your advice & reply, I will get into it. Dave.
97 6x6 arn 202 300
90 rfsv arn 51658

Offline yerriyong

• THANKS 20
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »
Does any of this fix change or vary when it is 6x6. thanks Dave.
97 6x6 arn 202 300
90 rfsv arn 51658

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 04:33:31 PM »
No Dave, the 6x6 is the same box as most variants of the 4x4 except that it has a 3rd axle drive bolted onto it where the round cover is on the back of the box. All other mechanical parts and setup procedures are the same. The speedo gears are different for the 4.7 diffs otherwise identical.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS