Author Topic: Klunking noise in front end.  (Read 1958 times)

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
Klunking noise in front end.
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:41 PM »
My mk3 has developed a klunk when I turn left and right.  I think it is coming from the left wheel.  Where do I start?

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 98
  • REMLR No: 217
Re: Klunking noise in front end.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »
I am not familiar with the mechanics of the machine, but a good place to start would be to jack that wheel up and see if you can get movement by pushing on the top of the wheel towards the axle tube. If so that would indicate loose bearings, or perhaps badly worn bearings.

If you can't move it, try with two people, or put a lever such as a shovel under the wheel and try to lift the outer edge of the tyre.

Next, try to do the same thing with someone else applying the foot-brake. If the movement goes it may the bearings; if it stays, it might be worn or loose swivel-pin bearings. I can't remember what type of swivels the International use, so I may be wrong here.

If there is nothing obviously wrong after doing the above checks, it might be whatever type of joint is used to allow the axle shaft to bend, when the steering is used,

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline wfc1

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 37
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Some times as simple as a spring shackle or hanger. If it has a bit of sideways movement it will thump as you steer one way and then will do the same as you turn the other way. Maybe give the shackles a good grease and see if it still does it. Go for the simple stuff first.  Bruce.

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 11:55:19 AM »
The pivot bearings are tapered rollers........they do notch after some considerable mileage.............I suggest you jack up the whole front end so both wheels are clear of the ground............then rotate the wheels,and steer for side to side........you will feel any problem on full lock either way.................the CV joints are Tracta type,and MUST have adequate lubrication......oil.not grease.............they will seize ,and then destroy the support bushings ..............so first check the oil level....same EP as the diff......................you are down south ,if you were in Qld ,Ive got plenty of whole new assys ,but too heavy to freight.

Offline 4x4-581

• THANKS 3
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:51 PM »
I think it might be the tracta joints,  it's very similar to a Cv joint noise.

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »
There are no tricks to getting the CV joint out..............simple dissassembly from the outside in.............one thing ,tho,because the trucks are just about new,wear wise,you may find the inner wheel bearing is still a tight fit on the spindle ,and stays put,pulling the seal out too.The CV joint inner axle shaft has a free running captive bushing,held in place by a shrink ring,like a car rear wheel bearing..........dont remove the shrink ring unless bush replacement is needed...................The Tracta joints are very closely fitted ,and must be oiled on assembly,grease may cause them to seize.