Author Topic: Perentie 110 GS - Rear Axle Shafts and Dust Caps  (Read 1816 times)

Offline solidrock

• THANKS 3
Perentie 110 GS - Rear Axle Shafts and Dust Caps
« on: December 21, 2018, 06:22:45 PM »
Hi All,

I'm currently troubleshooting a few issues with my rear axle on my 89' Perentie 110 GS and was wondering if anyone has any pointers.

I recently noticed that one of my rear axle dust caps was popping off and spraying a bit of oil onto the rims. After doing a bit of reading, Im aware that this could be due to a blocked axle breather (I have checked and it's not blocked) or due to water in the oil (I've replaced the rear diff oil this week). Now, my other assumption is that I probably need to replace the rear seals which have likely failed for one reason or another and are allowing the diff oil to migrate down the path of the axle shafts and out the end. I'm ok on this front and am planning to inspect the seals and bearings soon.

Where I require the brains trust is in regards to the rear axle shafts and dust caps. In playing around with them, I have noticed that both rear shafts can be pulled out about 5mm, but I haven't been able to find out if this is normal. I have attached 2 pictures which show the play that I am describing. Secondly, after replacing both rear dust caps and going for a short drive, BOTH caps are now horribly split (pics also attached). Granted, they are plastic and not genuine parts, but the same caps on the front axles are totally fine. Interestingly, I don't seem to have any inwards/outwards play on the front axle shafts, but they are different to the rears in that they are also shimmed, whereas the rears are not.

Would really appreciate any tips or pointers as to the split rear dust caps, and on whether the play in the rear axle shafts is something to be worried about.

Dust Caps

Axle Shaft "play"
Shaft In
Shaft Out

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
Re: Perentie 110 GS - Rear Axle Shafts and Dust Caps
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 07:28:37 PM »
I'm no mechanic, but the images of the axle in/out etc is end float nothing to be concerned about at all, the issue with the axle caps is they are 'a brand that comes in a blue box' ***tpart, get some genuine Land Rover ones buy 5 fit 4 keep one as a spare, the genuine ones last for years, cheers dennis

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »
As Dennis said the end play in the rear axles is fine - that's normal. The front ones are shimmed because they are the CV shafts and you don't want them moving around in the bush the fit into. Buy genuine rubber axle caps - you won't have that splitting happening with them.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline solidrock

• THANKS 3
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:45:17 PM »
Thanks Dennis and Bearman. I had read about end-float but wasn't sure if if that was what i was seeing. As for the dust caps, I'll go buy the genuine articles and let you know how it goes!  :)

Offline jsfnq

• THANKS 1
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 02:05:44 PM »
I ignored split dust caps.  BAD MISTAKE. Got stuck in the mud a couple of times and the mud chewed the bearings. They do tend to fall off in rough terrain. i keep a few spares and some lock tight to replace them.