Author Topic: Exmoor trim front centre seat fitment to Perentie.  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Mr Gregory

• THANKS 0
Exmoor trim front centre seat fitment to Perentie.
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

I’m planning on installing an Exmoor Trim front centre seat (ext325) into my GS Perentie. I’m struggling to find any detailed photos online of how the seat is mounted. The front mounting points on the seat look like they are designed to sit on top of some kind of rails? The seat box in my 1975 series 3 has rails bolted to it but the perentie doesn’t seem to have these.

I already know that the driver and passenger seats need to be moved outward to their original position. I would really appreciate it if anyone who has installed one of these could share some photos of how it goes in.

Thanks,

Greg
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:35:30 PM by Mr Gregory »

Offline David

• THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 478
Re: Exmoor trim front centre seat fitment to Perentie.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:52:49 PM »
I was also concerned about ease of fitment before I bought mine, however the concerns were unwarranted.
In a RFSV the Exmoor Trim seat sat on the two outer seat rails.  It required no modification or movement of the existing seats, and doesn't even require removal of the floor part of the rifle holder.  On my RFSV was extremely easy to fit. 
It is bolted to the floor by 4 bolts one in each corner so will need 4 small holes drilled in the seat box, and a plate under the floor of the seat box.
As a warning, it is a child sized seat and is not very comfortable for adults or large kids because of the legroom.
I fitted a 3 point harness seat belt which was 90% of the fitting difficulty due to fitting a top seatbelt bracket.
If you are looking at buying make sure you look at going direct through Exmoor Trim as an option, they are easy to deal with and freight was reasonable and very quick.
I don't think a GS would require much more effort to fit, if any, but I cant confirm as I don't have one.
cheers David
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline Dopey

• THANKS 12
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
It depends on which versions of the seat runner brackets you have as to if it is an easy fit or if modifications are required.
On both my RFSV I cannot fit a centre seat without either cutting the seat runner brackets down or moving the driver and passenger seats outboard more or using very long spacers to achieve the height required to mount the centre seat whilst allowing the outboard seats to travel along the runners.
I'll get around to properly fitting the seats some time soon.

Offline Mr Gregory

• THANKS 0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:45:16 PM »
Hmm I’m struggling to visualise what you’re describing. I’m going to attempt to fit the seat this weekend and I’ll take a bunch of photos. Hopefully all works out as I’ve already booked the compliance guy for next Thursday.  :-\

Offline Ado

• THANKS 0
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »
I had one fitted. Here is a photo of how it is mounted with the seat base off. If you would like some more photos let me know.

Offline Mr Gregory

• THANKS 0
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:43:50 PM »
Fantastic! Thanks for the photo. I think I could do that easily enough. Already made the cover plate to go underneath.

Offline Dopey

• THANKS 12
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:54:39 PM »
Hmm I’m struggling to visualise what you’re describing. I’m going to attempt to fit the seat this weekend and I’ll take a bunch of photos. Hopefully all works out as I’ve already booked the compliance guy for next Thursday.  :-\

Both of my RFSV have the same seat base runners and the centre seat base cannot fit in without cutting them or moving them or using spacers to mount the centre seat base above the runners of the outboard seats.

Offline David

• THANKS 19
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
Dopey
It seems as if I was lucky, in my RFSV the Exmoor trim seat fitted perfectly on the rails with little effort and no cutting.
The only difficult part was putting in a 3 point seatbelt, to stop my kid's head clobbering the dashboard and sharp edges on the RFSV tripmeter when 4wd'ing.

Offline Mr Gregory

• THANKS 0
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 10:27:45 PM »
Interesting. The seats in my GS are too close together, but there are holes which show where they were originally mounted. When I move them back to their original position I should be able to install the third seat.

Offline David

• THANKS 19
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
what interested me when I fitted my centre seat some time ago, was how little holds in the drivers and passengers seats.  My original seats have 4 small bolts held in by rivnuts set into the aluminium seat box.  The centre seat has a metal plate under its bolts and seat belt mounts and would be far better in an accident, except for the persons legs on the gear stick etc.

Offline Mr Gregory

• THANKS 0
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 07:35:39 PM »
what interested me when I fitted my centre seat some time ago, was how little holds in the drivers and passengers seats.  My original seats have 4 small bolts held in by rivnuts set into the aluminium seat box.  The centre seat has a metal plate under its bolts and seat belt mounts and would be far better in an accident, except for the persons legs on the gear stick etc.

Did you install the metal plate for the centre seat yourself? I’ve just put mine in today and I’ve only installed it as the others have been...

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 09:58:11 PM »
Dopey
It seems as if I was lucky, in my RFSV the Exmoor trim seat fitted perfectly on the rails with little effort and no cutting.
The only difficult part was putting in a 3 point seatbelt, to stop my kid's head clobbering the dashboard and sharp edges on the RFSV tripmeter when 4wd'ing.

What was the cost over there to get it complianced?
1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images © 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline Mr Gregory

• THANKS 0
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »
I installed the centre seat today easily enough.

The only problem I encountered was having to cut down the beautiful cover plate I made to replace the rifle holder so that the centre seat was not sitting on top of it. The cover plate was the exact shape of the rifle holder and uses the same screw holes. However, the front and back right mounting points of the centre seat sat on top of the plate slightly. I need the plate to be off to do up the bolts on the centre seat as I have no captive nuts for it unlike the other seats.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:47:08 PM by Mr Gregory »

Offline David

• THANKS 19
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 10:43:22 PM »
What was the cost over there to get it complianced?

Juddy
I never got it certified, but it should pass, it is only really used for off road.  I went to an engineer but he didn't do seats as he reckoned they were a PITA.